A Thousand Indian Freethinkers event: Ideas needed
(10-Jun-2010, 10:00 AM)murthymail Wrote: Richard Carrier, Dan Barker, the texas AAI guys (don't remember the names).

I meant Matt dillahunty. http://www.atheist-experience.com/people...illahunty/
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan
(06-Jun-2010, 11:09 PM)manju Wrote: 1. One of my relatives removed the picture of a goddess, holding weapons and riding a tiger, that they hung for many years after an astrologer told them that a goddess with weapon was inauspicious for a house. House requires peace and prosperity and the weapons are anathema to it. My relatives were still confused as they thought the goddess was the protector of the house.

2. Another relative of mine, an old lady, was asking my wife whether old people should worship Vishnu instead of Shiva. It appears a Namboodiri (Malayali Brahmin) told her people at the twilight of their life should worship Vishnu instead of Shiva as Vishnu would take care of life in the old age. The lady (who considers herself a Saiva) was puzzled by it. She felt, since Shiva was the destroyer(thus responsible for the end part of life) among trinity she should be worshipping Shiva instead of Vishnu but now the Namboodiri has confused her.

Lol what a dilemma !! They must have been sleepless, tensed after that.
(10-Jun-2010, 01:42 PM)siddharth Wrote: Ajita, We can keep it as simple as possible, just like the "A" of RD's Out Campaign did.

The Nirmukta logo (as on the facebook group) with maybe a simple statement such as "I'm an Indian Freethinker!" or " मैं निरमुक्त हूँ !" (Translation: "I am nirmukt/freed" ) below it should do the trick. An event can be created and everyone could be invited. A photo can be posted on the event page which people can save and upload it as their profile picture, for say 3-4 days.

Sid.

How about a collage with thumbnail photos of all the members in the fb group? The collage could spell out a message, maybe "Nirmukta, the force of Indian free thought!". I see that Bala is rather good at kinetic typography. Perhaps this is an idea?

On a related note, I would like to request the use of English at least for national audiences. Regional campaigns/programmes could use (and probably should) use the prevailing regional language in the area.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
(14-Jun-2010, 03:50 PM)donatello Wrote: How about a collage with thumbnail photos of all the members in the fb group? The collage could spell out a message, maybe "Nirmukta, the force of Indian free thought!". I see that Bala is rather good at kinetic typography. Perhaps this is an idea?

A collage using the photos of all members in the group sounds wonderful. It's a great idea, but I think we must get the permission from all the members before we use their images for something like this. The legal issues aside, I think some people will react badly to their images being used for something without their permission. Asking their permission is not a problem, but many people do not respond to facebook messages and some may flat out refuse to agree. Nevertheless this is a good idea and I'd like to announce it to the group when we announce the event.

Also, Bala is aware of the ideas that we have presented. We will have an answer soon. Meanwhile, the invites to take part in a Q&A have been sent out to noted skeptics and thinkers.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Considering that all these people are on fb, their profile pictures are freely viewable on fb because of the (arguably bad) fb privacy policy. Since they don't seem to mind it there, I don't think they will mind it being used in the collage. But as you say its better to put a post on the group asking people who object to it to let us know.

And, btw I could help in pulling out the thumbnails from the profile list through a computer program. Please let me know.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Nirmukta.com
This is great stuff. I'm in smile .
(15-Jun-2010, 09:52 AM)donatello Wrote: And, btw I could help in pulling out the thumbnails from the profile list through a computer program. Please let me know.

(15-Jun-2010, 11:38 AM)bala Wrote: This is great stuff. I'm in smile .

Excellent. You should both work together. Please use private messages or communicate on facebook. I'll send the group a message about this when we announce who the skeptic at the Q&A will be.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
EDIT: This post can be ignored. Please see the next one.

Ajita, there is problem with this. Extracting profile images turned about to be a little harder than I expected. I think it can still be done, but there is the problem of facebook's terms of service. I saw this: http://scobleizer.com/2008/01/03/ive-bee...-facebook/

It would be quite a pain to get all the profile pics by hand. Maybe we should make do with a few? Or we can change the idea I guess.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Nirmukta.com
I think the previous post can be IGNORED. I found an easier way to get the photos. Here is the procedure I found out. It requires Firefox (I used latest 3.6.3).

1) Just go to the group page, click the "See All" link in the members list on the left. It will open a list in the middle of the page.

2) IMPORTANT: Scroll to the bottom of the list (this will load all images in the list). It will show about a 100 members in the list.

3) Right click somewhere in the list and click "Page Info". Open the media tab. It will show a list of images on the page.

4) Click on any one of the images and then press Ctrl + A. This will select all items in the list. Then choose Save As and give a folder. Firefox will then download all images to the directory.

5) Now click the Next link the list, it will load the next 100 members. Go back to step 2, and repeat until no more pages are left!

Takes just 10 iterations, and Firefox does most of the work. Just note that Firefox may slow down when it downloads all the images.

This will download some junk images too, but it should be easy enough to get rid of them. I would do this little thing and mail Bala the images, but my broadband is down (it should hopefully be up tomorrow) and I am writing this from a cafe.

Bala, I hope you will be able to use this many images in the collage?
Aditya Manthramurthy
Nirmukta.com
Sure, collage could work well. This is the one I talked about earlier. The whole portrait is made up of photos of members. But we could do something different.
I've downloaded all the profile pictures on my machine. Please send me a PM with your email id and I will mail it to you, Bala or anyone else who is interested in trying something. Making a collage like Bala shows in his link is called a photo-mosaic and there are a number of softwares that can do it, in Linux (metapixel, etc) and Windows.

EDIT: Here is one I made with an existing work of Bala's just to show the concept. Of course, it contains repetitions of profile images. http://www.deviantart.com/download/16831...atello.jpg
Aditya Manthramurthy
Nirmukta.com
Nice work donatello! Thanks smile
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tom Clark to speak at our 1000 Indian Freethinkers event. Ajita Kamal 5 4,143 02-Jul-2010, 02:05 PM
Last Post: siddharth
  Hello Fellow Freethinkers! Ajita Kamal 0 2,517 29-Mar-2010, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal