A new comer
Hi,

I am an amateur astronomer from chennai.
I am following the nirmukta website for the past 3months.
I am against astrology.
For the past 2years I am going about disproving all the scientific claims of astrology.
And one more thing Astrology is not a pure Indian science.
So am eager and looking forward for some discussions on astrology.

Balaji
(22-Apr-2010, 10:13 PM)astrobalaji Wrote: Hi,

I am against astrology.
For the past 2years I am going about disproving all the scientific claims of astrology.

Balaji

Welcome! I too am interested in astronomy, but am too lazy to go out and see the skies. I'm just content with seeing pictures. Astrology is pure nonsense. But yet, it has a large following in India. Would love to see what you have to say on astrology.
Hi Balaji, nice to meet you ;)

I completely agree with you. The beautiful science of astronomy is so much more satisfying than the nonsensical pseudoscience of astrology. Also, it is a universal pseudoscience, with three major types- Western, Chinese and Vedic varieties of bullshit :dodgy:

I look forward to having some conversations on this and other subjects with you. Perhaps we can have the astrology/astronomy discussion in the science forums. Sajith suggested we need a pseudoscience forum, so maybe its time to add that. We will be discussing this in the next meeting.

Meanwhile, there are a few members organizing Nirmukta Chennai. Are you a member of the facebook group? If not, you should join. Your coordinator for Nirmukta Chennai is Sanjay. He is also the Mod for the Chennai forum on this site. You can send him a PM and he will send you the password to the Chennai forum (It's kept private for now).

I hope you enjoy being a part of the community!
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(22-Apr-2010, 10:13 PM)astrobalaji Wrote: Hi,

I am against astrology.

Balaji

Hi Balaji,

Astrology is a world-wide phenomenon judging from the prevalence and success of the Horoscope section of nearly every major newspaper and periodical magazine.

There must be an innate sense of 'wanting to believe' in some order or sense of destiny in the human psyche which makes these predictions so appealing - which is exactly why religion too is so popular in almost every culture.

Kevin
Hi all,

I will make one thing clear. Astrology has no significance on the vedas. The vedanga-jyothisha is purely astronomy. If any astrologer claims it you can directly tell this. Astrology is horashastra which came in a later period, after atharvana vedic time. My anger with astrologers are so high coz those people burnt astronomical records of the ujjain observatory. even they kicked off aryabatta to south india.
Vedanaga-jyothisa speaks only astronomy and even it disagrees with astrology (will post the quotes soon). The only texts of astrology were from the siddantas which vedanga jyothisa claims to be gone crazy.

I am more eager to listen to astrologers. am following Narendra sir's fight with Bhaskar Shetty.

Balaji
HI, I am Vijay research student from Bangalore. Well, I am really couldn't think of anything to describe myself!
I learned about nirmukta through one of my friends disguised as donatello here.. :P
I find this interesting, would love discussions and share words!
vijay
Hi vijay, welcome to the forum!
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Hi Vijay, welcome to the Nirmukta forums! It's really good to have students and professionals on board. What is your research specialty?

Please check out the Bangalore forum here. There are some other activists from B'lore who have been networking to build up a solid group on the ground. I'm sure you will find them to be a very intelligent and friendly bunch.

Cheers!
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
thanks for the greetings, Ajita. I work in acoustics and mechanical vibrations. Sure, will catch up with the B'lore fellows.
Btw, what you do for living other than managing as an admin?
Hi Astrobalaji and Vijay, nice to meet you!

@Vijay, the members of the forum come from varied demographics. I, for example, am a student of economics and international relations.