A pro atheistic film
A Sundance premiered film about the conflict between an atheist and the religious husband of the girl he loves. Has rotten reviews but still is a Sundance baby.
It's called The Ledge. It is a horrible film. The whole movie revolves around one assumption:
"Religious people have faith in something and therefore can hold stead in those convictions. Can atheists do the same since they don't believe in anything?"
The discussions aren't very engaging; if you've read Hitchens or Dawkins (and you must have), you've got the bases covered. Liv Tyler's acting is very commendable, but that aside the movie is just a bore.
Avoidable. No
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
(12-Oct-2011, 10:28 PM)nick87 Wrote: It's called The Ledge. It is a horrible film. The whole movie revolves around one assumption:
"Religious people have faith in something and therefore can hold stead in those convictions. Can atheists do the same since they don't believe in anything?"
The discussions aren't very engaging; if you've read Hitchens or Dawkins (and you must have), you've got the bases covered. Liv Tyler's acting is very commendable, but that aside the movie is just a bore.
Avoidable. No

hmmm...what makes me wonder is how it got into Sundance?
Wow, interesting that you hated it, Nick. I was thinking of watching it after the FFRF podcast covered it and interviewed the filmmaker Matthew Chapman (who happens to be Darwin's great grandson). I didn't think the plot was very engaging, but wanted to watch because it got mainstream coverage, which is rare for a film about an atheist that is directed by an atheist.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I didn't like ledge either, actually if you have watched the trailer, you have watched the movie(except for pretty predictable climax) , rest is just fillers, but i think that is because we are used to such discussions and have seen better, for young i-am-not-sure people out there it would have been nice movie to watch, acting is good, both lead actor and actress are looking great,story is nice(but it got stretched too much).