Ajita Kamal
This was so heartbreaking news. I wonder what happened to him.
I joined Nirmukta community on facebook in June last year, after I returned to Chennai. My interactions with Ajita were through his posts on discussions on facebook. He came across as a wise intellectual through his comments. But it didn't stop at that. He was no armchair intellectual. He could perceive the social conditions and structures that we live in and believed in creating linkages with social issues, concerns and movements. This came across clearly through his posts. Based on these, I had an image of him as a much older man. The surprise came at Thinkfest, when I realised that he was much younger. But I still remained impressed. He created a bridge between the intellectual and activist beautifully.

Unfortunately, that was my only meeting with him.

Somehow, inspite of attending CFT meetings and interacting with others on facebook, I never got round to joining the forums. No idea how I missed to do so. It was only after reading the post about Ajita's unitmely demise that I got to doing it. Never imagined that my first post here would be to condole Ajita Kamal.
[+] 3 users Like Geeta Charusivam's post
Always longed to meet ajita in person, but was never to be. Sadly, for all of us as much for his family his untimely death leaves a huge vacuum, hard to fill by. Ajita's thought provoking articles & speeches shall always be remembered...
"The crime called blasphemy was invented by priests for the purpose of defending doctrines not able to take care of themselves."_ Robert Green Ingersoll.
Shocked and extremely sad to learn about Ajita Kamal's untimely death. It is indeed a great loss.
heartbreaking news
I am relatively new to Nirmukta and never meet Ajitha in person. But I always admire the way he write the posts, comments, debates...

Very heartbreaking news...
Indians today are governed by two different ideologies. Their political ideal set in the preamble of the Constitution affirms a life of liberty, equality and fraternity. Their social ideal embodied in their religion denies them. - Ambedkar
I just came back from a week long conference and I had no access to the internet. I log on at home this evening and I see this shocking piece of news. I never met him but he encouraged me to speak up on this forum and even asked me to contribute for Nirmukta.com if I could.
His wonderful diction and clear thinking shall be greatly missed. May his memory live on in all of those who knew him and thus continue to inspire us.
His message to me still inspires me:
Quote:For the record I think you're a fine skeptic and freethinker.

Peace,
Nick.
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
[+] 2 users Like nick87's post
I just heard about Ajita's death on the SGU podcast. I met Ajita at the 1st Annual Perry DeAngelis Memorial Podcast live recording in Fairfield, Connecticut. He needed a ride from the ferry landing to the theater and I volunteered to pick him up. We had a great time hanging out with the Rogues. It was a shame we had to leave the party so early but he had to catch the ferry back to New York. I could have talked to him all night. My condolences to his friends and family.
[+] 1 user Likes Chew's post