Current time: 20-04-2014, 04:33 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

And let there be light!
7kris07 Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Given: 1

And let there be light!

That's what I'm here to search for. Light. Light of knowledge. Light of logic. Light of reason.

I have been watching a lot of Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher etc etc on Youtube lately and their views on religion have quite frankly made me a bit ashamed of myself. Not that I'm a hard religious nut. But I was always of the opinion that proper belief in a religion only made life better. You know, '...turn the other cheek...', 'Karmanyavadhi karaste....' etc. I was of the opinion that my religion, Hinduism, was a benevolent one which wasn't really troubling many others (conveniently erasing Godhra riots) and so for me, religion and science could exist side by side.

But my education induced rational thinking have made sure that I have spotted many disparities between the Hindu scriptures and the scientific facts which are supported by solid evidence. And I'm now getting more and more inclined towards Atheism.

I don't know if being Agnostic is a religious belief as it doesn't really tell you that a person believes in God or not, but merely that his presence can't be proved. I am right now more inclined towards a theory called Deism, which according to my quick research means that there is a God who created everything and then just let it be. I have chosen it coz it's convenient for now.

Hoping to interact with people here and discuss the various possibilities. Found this forum at just the right time. Thank God! Lol
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nick87 Offline
Nirmukt Centurion

Likes Given: 30

RE: And let there be light!

Welcome to the forums!

"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
Kanad Kanhere Offline
Super Moderator

Likes Given: 156

Welcome to the forums 7kris07.

A few comments on your post

(29-03-2012 10:40 PM)7kris07 Wrote:  I don't know if being Agnostic is a religious belief as it doesn't really tell you that a person believes in God or not, but merely that his presence can't be proved.

I think it would be wrong to mix "belief in god" with religiosity. You'll find people who are atheist but deeply religious (e.g. some Buddhists), while some "staunch believers in god" but not all that religious (e.g. my parents ;)).

(29-03-2012 10:40 PM)7kris07 Wrote:  I am right now more inclined towards a theory called Deism, which according to my quick research means that there is a God who created everything and then just let it be. I have chosen it coz it's convenient for now.

My advice would be to chose sides only after getting sufficient amount of knowledge. There are various arguments against "invoking god as the creator of universe". May be you can start a new thread if you want more discussion on this.
arvindiyer Offline
Veteran of Freethought

Likes Given: 161

(29-03-2012 10:40 PM)7kris07 Wrote:  I don't know if being Agnostic is a religious belief as it doesn't really tell you that a person believes in God or not, but merely that his presence can't be proved. I am right now more inclined towards a theory called Deism, which according to my quick research means that there is a God who created everything and then just let it be. I have chosen it coz it's convenient for now.

Speaking of deism, let me reproduce here some of what I had in response to a similar avowal of deism by another member in a Facebook exchange.

Well, Voltaire would be welcome here, I suppose!
As for deists, we may suggest that they consider reading the latter half of this post and agnostics, this one.

There are some who seem to think that Voltairian deism is a viable stance for those who find it hard to accept 'crude materialistic forms of atheism'. They would do well to acknowledge that a lot more is known thanks to advances especially in Neuroscience, since Voltaire's time and Eliminative Materialism today rests on more solid ground than what may have seemed crude in the Enlightenment era.

The following clips maybe relevant:
Yale psychologist Paul Bloom on the rejection of Cartesian Dualism
Neurophilosopher Patricia Churchland on Eliminative Materialism
To paraphrase Prof. Dawkins, neuroscientific advances have made it possible to be an 'intellectually fulfilled materialist'.

One thing that is curious about deists is the insistence on positing an entity, admittedly without any explanatory power. This curious exercise of 'proving the necessity of the superfluous' is touched upon in this post.

There will be plenty of opportunities to clarify those stances in these circles. For now, let me join the rest in welcoming you to the group.
[+] 2 users Like arvindiyer's post

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)