Any Linux geeks here?
Going from Windows to Linux was a bit like going from theism to atheism smile. I use Ubuntu. Any other Linux users here?
(29-Mar-2010, 09:54 PM)Lije Wrote: Going from Windows to Linux was a bit like going from theism to atheism smile

LOL, I'm sure the Mac users will disagree that Linux is the height of reason ;)

I have used both Ubuntu and Mint in the past.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I am not a super geek, but I have good past experience with Ubuntu and Redhat.

*(and Google is my friend, whenever I am stuck)
Honestly, using Linux is not a geek thing anymore. I remember the days of searching for proper drivers, compiling and loading into a kernel. Not anymore.
I have used quite a lot of Linux distros.. Redhat, Fedora, opensuse, debian, mandriva, suse enterprise, ubuntu(current)

but ultimately, I believe in the best tool for the job philosophy(Windows/Linux)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

http://dsriharsha.blogspot.com
(30-Mar-2010, 08:48 AM)uglyhunk Wrote: Honestly, using Linux is not a geek thing anymore. I remember the days of searching for proper drivers, compiling and loading into a kernel. Not anymore.

This is true, although you can argue its a different sort of geek thing. Hardcore Linux users love to participate in community forums and discuss open-source stuff. I like being part of that community, even though I'm not loyal to any of the three (windoze/linux/mac).
(29-Mar-2010, 09:54 PM)Lije Wrote: Going from Windows to Linux was a bit like going from theism to atheism smile. I use Ubuntu. Any other Linux users here?

I use Ubuntu as well. Karmic Koala. Though, I will admit that the terminal still intimidates me a wee bit.
Alright, everyone... I'm getting geared to install Mint, Helena.

I'm doing it on a virtual machine first. I'm excited- its been a year since I used Linux :s

Will let y'all know how it goes. Might need some advice Blush

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
I call myself a 'Linux enthusiast' and not a geek, simply because I never worked towards becoming one. Used Ubuntu in the past whenever I would on my 'open source living' spree, but then, was never satisfied with it and feels good to know that many other people aren't either. It's all too Windowy.

Dual-booted Windows XP with Fedora and was mightily impressed. There's been too many HDD changes and crashes and the tedious cycle of backing-up and transfers in a while, so that leaves me no time to have two OSs. So I just use XP for now but plan on getting back to Fedora very soon.

And if I ever become a Linux geek, Arch Linux would be the one I'd use. You guys should seriously check it out. http://www.archlinux.org/
[+] 1 user Likes iconoclastmolotov's post
I saw this thread just now! smile

I'm a Linux fan too. Been one for the past 6 years or so. It is pretty cool to use free stuff, and as it's free in the "free speech" sense too, I learned a lot about computers and software systems from using Linux. I use Ubuntu, and love the company's philosophy of giving their enterprise software for free and making money through services around it.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
I use Ubuntu and like the way the ubuntu community works.
(29-Mar-2010, 09:54 PM)Lije Wrote: Going from Windows to Linux was a bit like going from theism to atheism smile. I use Ubuntu. Any other Linux users here?

Lije, I am currently using Ubuntu and I just want to say that I am that much familiar with it. As I also have tried Windows but I didn't like that because I am not that much familiar with it and I didn't like its all of the functionalities. I like Ubuntu's all of the functionalities that much.