Ask Sam Harris Anything- via Reddit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Z5eDXRK...r_embedded

"Ask hard questions of people who know no idea what they're talking about, expose their ignorance and hypocrisy, double think.... and have consequential conversations."
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
The same statement made by Sam Harris kept popping up in my mind too after watching his video in his blog smile Also, about vipassana.....
(30-Jun-2011, 08:50 AM)nick87 Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Z5eDXRK...r_embedded

"Ask hard questions of people who know no idea what they're talking about, expose their ignorance and hypocrisy, double think.... and have consequential conversations."

Trust me mate, I try to have consequential conversations when I can, but two things happen. One is when the cracks start appearing in the shell, the religious folk immediately terminate the conversation ("Enough! Don't try to convert me!! Mad ) or two, they are so dense that the arguments I pose have no effect whatsover (ie- they are water-proof Laugh). A good example would be:
Why do believe the Qu'ran is the word of God?
Because Allah (the all mighty, all awesome, all knowing, all merciful, all brilliant,..... 10 minutes later) spoke the words of the Qu'ran.
OK....How do you that Allah is the one God? What if you're wrong and it's actually Jesus,Yahweh, Vishnu or some other pagan God? What then? Not only will you burn in Hell, but will drag every other person you've converted to Islam down with you. What then?
No. The Qu'ran says that Allah is the one God. I've trumped your argument.

Face Palm power infinity.
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
(03-Jul-2011, 12:54 PM)nick87 Wrote: A good example would be:
Because Allah (the all mighty, all awesome, all knowing, all merciful, all brilliant,..... 10 minutes later) spoke the words of the Qu'ran.
OK....How do you that Allah is the one God? What if you're wrong and it's actually Jesus,Yahweh, Vishnu or some other pagan God? What then? Not only will you burn in Hell, but will drag every other person you've converted to Islam down with you. What then?

Good ol' circular reasoning. That's why I keep the holy napkin with me.
[Image: MHWQ2.jpg]
"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
He he he he.... now i have reached a stage where i feel like laughing out aloud in such situations!!!

You just cant have conversations with such individuals who are completely blind to reasoning. They are immersed in the drug called 'religion or god' which has made them so empty and addicted to dogma! 'Bhakti' is the strongest and the most effective entity akin to any psychedelic drug!!

Well friend i think you dont need to waste your time with such people unless it is imperative for you to talk and make your point.

or you can Happydance at their ignorance when their shell breaks which makes them look like CursingHuh
(03-Jul-2011, 12:54 PM)nick87 Wrote: Trust me mate, I try to have consequential conversations when I can, but two things happen. One is when the cracks start appearing in the shell, the religious folk immediately terminate the conversation ("Enough! Don't try to convert me!! Mad ) or two, they are so dense that the arguments I pose have no effect whatsover (ie- they are water-proof Laugh). A good example would be:

(03-Jul-2011, 05:33 PM)sushikadanakuppe@gmail.com Wrote: or you can Happydance at their ignorance when their shell breaks which makes them look like CursingHuh

Sam Harris (who's showing up in so many threads today since he's willing to 'answer anything'!), seems to suggest here (Watch from 38m20s) that while Surrender is unthinkable, ROTFL and Flowers are both legitimate and potentially useful items on our table, which are not mutually exclusive. As always, pluralism for the win!