Atheism and freethought Books suggestions dump
Arvind, thanks for the welcome. This forum is awesome.

I am aware of Haidt but have not read his books. Pinker uses Haidt's framework in Better Angels which I really liked. Later I watched Haidt's talk at TED and his interview with Bill Moyers and read some of his essays. I was disappointed with his views on religion and atheism. There were just too many false equivalencies. PZ also had a less than flattering review of Haidt's in Pharyngula. So I decided against reading his book. I will check out the Haidt thread you mentioned. May be I will change my mind.
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Mandrake's post
These are some of my favorite books on India:

Every single volume of The New Cambridge History of India-- except perhaps the ones on art and architecture-- is a gem.

For caste , I really liked:

1) Susan Bayly's Caste, Society and Politics in India from the Eighteenth Century to the Modern Age.

2) The grossly misunderstood book by Nicholas Dirks, Castes of Mind.

3) Colonial Lists / Indian Power: Identity Politics in Nineteenth-Century Telugu-Speaking India. by Michael Katten

4) Precolonial India in Practice by Cynthia Talbot-- although it doesn't explicitly deal with caste.

5) Homo hierarchicus by Louis Dumont, though its theory has fallen out of favor.

6) Declan Quigley's The Interpretation of Caste, which has its own flaws.

For Hindu religion and philosophy , I liked the following:

1) Orientalism and Religion by Richard King

2) The Lost Age of Reason: Philosophy in Early Modern India 1450-1700 by Jonardon Ganeri

3) The Sanskrit Epics by John Brockington.
(18-Jul-2013, 08:51 AM)Sachin1 Wrote: These are some of my favorite books on India:

Every single volume of The New Cambridge History of India-- except perhaps the ones on art and architecture-- is a gem.

For caste , I really liked:

1) Susan Bayly's Caste, Society and Politics in India from the Eighteenth Century to the Modern Age.

2) The grossly misunderstood book by Nicholas Dirks, Castes of Mind.

3) Colonial Lists / Indian Power: Identity Politics in Nineteenth-Century Telugu-Speaking India. by Michael Katten

4) Precolonial India in Practice by Cynthia Talbot-- although it doesn't explicitly deal with caste.

5) Homo hierarchicus by Louis Dumont, though its theory has fallen out of favor.

6) Declan Quigley's The Interpretation of Caste, which has its own flaws.

For Hindu religion and philosophy , I liked the following:

1) Orientalism and Religion by Richard King

2) The Lost Age of Reason: Philosophy in Early Modern India 1450-1700 by Jonardon Ganeri

3) The Sanskrit Epics by John Brockington.

Sachin1,

Can you give us a short summary of what you learnt from one those books on Castes. Perhaps in a separate thread.
No problem, Captain Mandrake-- I'll try and get around to it this weekend.
Elizabeth Anderson's article on "If God Is Dead, Is Everything Permitted?" [which appears in Christopher Hitchen's The portable Atheist] is a very very good rebuttal of classic divine command morality - that atheists don't have morals/ are immoral because they don't believe in God.

If any of you don't have access to the book and would still want to read the article, it is available online HERE: http://www.skeptic.ca/Biblical_Ethics.htm
Just read the book "Identity and Violence: The Illusion of Destiny" by Amartya Sen. He provides a good counter to the clash of civilizations narrative popularized in the aftermath 9/11.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Iden...CsbXDejd0C

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Websites on Science, Atheism and Freethought siddharth 5 5,301 06-Dec-2014, 01:45 PM
Last Post: garrethdsouza
  Books on Science (non-fiction) suggestions dump grayhound 0 1,832 16-Jun-2014, 01:50 PM
Last Post: grayhound
  Books by Indian Atheists and Freethinkers bala 6 10,550 19-May-2012, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Naushirvan
  Three book-reviews of recent books on India arvindiyer 2 4,670 19-May-2012, 12:29 AM
Last Post: Naushirvan
Wink Freethought Webcomics nick87 1 3,301 26-Sep-2011, 03:33 PM
Last Post: nispat
  Freethought book discussion astrokid.nj 3 3,514 08-Jan-2011, 08:52 PM
Last Post: astrokid.nj