Bad experiences of superstitions
When I was a kid, owing to the belief based environment I grew up in, I had some bad experiences due to popular superstitions. One that I dreaded most was seeing the Moon on vinayaka chaturti. If you do that, you will supposedly take blame for an act which you didn't do. Whenever I went out at night on that day, I would be very careful to keep my head down, deathly scared of the Moon.

Another was lizards falling on your head. That is supposed to be a premonition of your death. Lizards are quite common in India and the idiots had to base a superstition on them. I was always looking at ceilings to make sure that no lizard was falling on me.

What are your experiences of superstitions?
Hi Lije,

Quote:One that I dreaded most was seeing the Moon on vinayaka chaturti. If you do that, you will supposedly take blame for an act which you didn't do.

If one were to question the above superstition, the answer was, "Even Lord Sri Krishna had to suffer the humiliation of being blamed of theft."

On one hand, Sri Krishna is supposed to be Allmighty and on the other hand, he too is a victim of the consequences of a rather trivial but supposedly forbidden act! So much for His Might!

Now for some humor ....

Why not change the superstition from a negative to a positive one?

"Yes, after Sri Krishna saw the moon when it was forbidden, he was accused of stealing a jewel. Determined to clear his name, he started out on an interesting adventure - wrestling with bears and all that. Finally he got married to 2 beautiful ladies - Jambavati and Satyabhama!

Therefore, if one sees the moon on Vinayuaka Chaturthi, one will be able to marry not one but two beautiful women !"

Extending it further ...

"All those of you young and not so young bachelors who are desparate to get married: go forth and see the Moon on Vinayaka Chaturthi! Then you will certainly get married!!!"

Extending it still further ...

"If you want only one wife, see the Moon with only one eye!"
When I was a child, my great grand mom once spit on my head because I put a sieve on my head while playing. Bad luck apparently. Sheesh.

I have also been taken to the witch doctor in my village in Rajasthan by my great grand mom as a child. That witch doctor hit me on the head with a broom because I was unwell.
(10-Apr-2010, 12:58 PM)siddharth Wrote: When I was a child, my great grand mom once spit on my head because I put a sieve on my head while playing. Bad luck apparently. Sheesh.

I have also been taken to the witch doctor in my village in Rajasthan by my great grand mom as a child. That witch doctor hit me on the head with a broom because I was unwell.

Well, obviously it worked. You seem fine to me. Big Grin

*hides the brooms*
(10-Apr-2010, 10:05 PM)Goldenmane Wrote:
(10-Apr-2010, 12:58 PM)siddharth Wrote: When I was a child, my great grand mom once spit on my head because I put a sieve on my head while playing. Bad luck apparently. Sheesh.

Well, obviously it worked. You seem fine to me. Big Grin

*hides the brooms*
Biggrin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Superstitions in India shrihara 43 280,697 03-Feb-2016, 05:56 PM
Last Post: jaikrishna
  "Spiritual" Experiences stupidseeker 2 2,600 04-Mar-2013, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Captain Mandrake
  Battling eclipse-related superstitions arvindiyer 0 3,244 20-Jul-2012, 07:55 PM
Last Post: arvindiyer