Being legally nonreligious
I read an article in TOI last month about a lawyer wishing to legally be nonreligious: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes....s-petition

The judge quashed the petition and I was wondering, does anyone know what laws/rules/etc. the judge was being his decision on. I'm curious as to what the legal hurdles are that atheists would face if they wanted to be declared nonreligious/atheist legally.
I have no idea why the judge quashed the appeal. The Census of India allows you to choose 'no religion'
I do not understand how the judge can quash an appeal like that. Why should my marriage and heir laws be derived from some holy scripture that I do not consent to? Why should I be forced to follow some Hindu acts when the lottery of birth randomly threw me into a Hindu family? Is my freedom to choose no religion not respected at all? Is there any useful argument against identifying me as an atheist by the State completely?
IMO a PIL is in order. Freedom of religion gives us the right to choose no religion. There should be a different personal laws pertaining to individuals of mixed faith or no faith like the Special Marriages Act(1954).

In india, if you're family is hindu and you convert, you loose the right to your parents property if they die intestate.

It would be better if we could choose Atheism as a religion and still be governed under Hindu personal law. Its a compromise, but atleast we aren't legally branded with our parent's religion.

<<
In india, if you're family is hindu and you convert, you loose the right to your parents property if they die intestate.
>>

I dont think the above is true. According to this, My kids will lose the right to my parents property, if I convert. I do not think I will lose.