Black holes
Hi guys!!!

I am a hardcore physics student and felt the need to discuss the blackhole theory.. Well to introduce the concept.. "A black hole is a mathematically defined region of spacetime exhibiting such a strong gravitational pull that no particle or electromagnetic radiation can escape from it.[1] The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform space-time to form a black hole"... Now what do feel about the latest theories of the black hole such as the black hole being depicted as a portal to another universe. The event horizon is just known to be complete singularity where time space is completely warped. The problem is going near the black hole will stretch you like a noodle as the scientists say so. I dont agree with this as much I try to deviate from the conventional mechanics

So guys I am bored .. Any thoughts??? We could debate.
(08-Jun-2015, 06:36 PM)sumi1996 Wrote: Hi guys!!!

I am a hardcore physics student and felt the need to discuss the blackhole theory.. Well to introduce the concept.. "A black hole is a mathematically defined region of spacetime exhibiting such a strong gravitational pull that no particle or electromagnetic radiation can escape from it.[1] The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform space-time to form a black hole"... Now what do feel about the latest theories of the black hole such as the black hole being depicted as a portal to another universe. The event horizon is just known to be complete singularity where time space is completely warped. The problem is going near the black hole will stretch you like a noodle as the scientists say so. I dont agree with this as much I try to deviate from the conventional mechanics

So guys I am bored .. Any thoughts??? We could debate.

Hi,
As to the fate of observers going close to the blackhole, it is still a very debated topic in current research. There has been numerous suggestions in current literature on this, most prominent being the firewall scenario. Without getting too much into the details, the idea is that any observer hitting the event horizon will encounter a solid wall with lot of drama happening at the horizon. This suggestion was borne out of resolving the Information paradox, which is an apparent contradiction between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

Of course, all of this are speculations as to what happens inside the horizon. These are very hard to put to test because we have very limited access to a real black hole, let alone its interior. Nevertheless, observers getting stretched is very much possible if you are sufficiently close to a blackhole. This is because gravitating bodies causes tidal forces. To see this imagine yourself to be falling into the blackhole. Since you have a finite size, as you fall towards the blackhole, your body will experience gravitational force and if you remember good old Newton's law, gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So the part of your body closer to the blackhole would experience greater acceleration than the part farthest away. This unequal acceleration would translate to closest point moving at higher velocity than the farthest point. This the reason for 'stretching' of observers until you reach the point where gravity will just rip you apart. This is even true on Earth, its just that Earth's gravity is very weak to be noticeable at the human scale. This is also the reason there are tides on Earth because of Moon's gravity.