Current time: 30-09-2014, 09:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Census 2011: Caste to be included
siddharth Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 19
Likes Rcvd: 17 in 13 posts

Census 2011: Caste to be included

The government recently announced that caste will be included in the questionnaire for the 2011 census. What are yous thoughts about this?

There would be several complications too. For example, my closest family members and I am a part or three different caste groups (four, if the maternal side is included), although these castes are synonymous. There are sub castes, gotras, and what not. How will the correct caste be counted?

And what about non Hindus? There are castes within Christians, Sikhs and Muslims too.

Most importantly, what about people like me who do NOT wish to be identified with any caste? Will there be a "none" too?
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
uglyhunk Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 0
Likes Rcvd: 2 in 1 posts

RE: Census 2011: Caste to be included

There should NONE be for both castes and religion. I'm not sure if there is any such option available in US census. I think cencus is in progress in US too....
sruthisupriya Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Rcvd: 0 in 0 posts

uglyhunk, this isnt US.

there should be caste and religion based census. i understand your sentiments siddarth. but the truth is, of the 1 point smthng billion, most people do identify themselves with caste and to properly execute the reservation system and everything, we need a caste based census.

I know why the caged bird sings....... do you?
Reflections
uglyhunk Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Rcvd: 2 in 1 posts

(11-05-2010 11:52 AM)sruthisupriya Wrote:  uglyhunk, this isnt US.

there should be caste and religion based census. i understand your sentiments siddarth. but the truth is, of the 1 point smthng billion, most people do identify themselves with caste and to properly execute the reservation system and everything, we need a caste based census.

Well, if NONE is an option I certainly choose that. I'm not suggessting to stop enumerating people based on caste/religion but it is no difficult task to include an additional option.
shrihara Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 15
Likes Rcvd: 70 in 28 posts

I think caste based census will enhance the problem of caste system, reservation etc. There are many castes in India which are currently considered as general merit are fighting for reservation. This is against secularism, Humanism. We need not know how many are following which religion, caste or how many are not following any religion for development of our country.
manju Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Given: 12
Likes Rcvd: 16 in 9 posts

(11-05-2010 01:00 PM)shrihara Wrote:  I think caste based census will enhance the problem of caste system, reservation etc. There are many castes in India which are currently considered as general merit are fighting for reservation.

I'm sorry but I donot understand how this would enhance the problems of the caste system and the reservation policy.

I wonder how methodical would be the approach. In my opinion, everyone (optional for mixed caste origin) should denote their endogamous unit (caste or subcaste). The census should also note down educational and professional achievements of each and every person. It should also include the column for checking whether they have availed the benefits of reservation. Is there any measure for success or failure of the reservation policy? I think a properly conducted caste census can give some info. in this regard.

It would also help in population genetics studies of Indian population.
Varun Offline
Addicted to Freethought

Likes Rcvd: 0 in 0 posts

Will all sorts of reservation laws already in place for more than one sector, its probably best to have this,to be fair to everyone now that reservation based on caste is a reality.Ignoring that would be foolish.
You first make the law then deal with its consequences and census of the caste is a consequence.
Ideally, no such caste specific laws = no need to count caste.

|God is Dead|
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2010 06:14 PM by Varun.)
Swati Offline
Nirmukt Centurion

Likes Given: 23
Likes Rcvd: 8 in 7 posts

As per 2001 Census of India, 0.1% of Indians listed under the 'no religion' category. I hope to see a substantial increase in those figures.
The question of mentioning caste should not arise for atheists.

The govt. needs the data for implementing affirmative action so a caste enumerative census.
I wish it was not necessary as caste serves to emphasis religious identity.
siddharth Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 19
Likes Rcvd: 17 in 13 posts

Here is a documentary about the life of Dalits in India. I thought it might interest a few, although it's not directly related to the thread. Thanks to Sathish from the Indian Atheists page.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christopher Hitchens is no more: 1949-2011 nick87 2 2,867 16-12-2011 07:37 PM
Last Post: Lije
  Fruits of casting caste away? bala 10 3,502 20-10-2010 01:06 AM
Last Post: astrokid.nj
  TN suspends IAS officer over caste certificate donatello 2 5,714 15-09-2010 09:09 PM
Last Post: siddharth

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)