Coming out! Hello!
Hi!

I was raised in a Hindu family but by mostly secular parents who didn't really care much for all that nonsense. My extended family did, however, so I got my mild blasts of religion and superstition. Other than that, I was largely religiously ignorant as a child.

I went to school in the Middle East and was physically and mentally bullied for most of my life for being a religious ignoramus (shouldn't be surprising in a fundamentalist country I guess) by both locals and my fellow Indians. I was treated as weird and strange and was told on numerous occasions that I would go to hell.

Obviously, when I did find out more about religion, I was hostile to the concept by default. I quickly learned about the books and the texts and the scriptures of all the more popular brands. I read most of the Gita and the Upanishads. I read the Bible and the Quran. And... nope. Nope nope nope nope nope. I never wished ill of anyone who bullied me, that wouldn't be nice, but I certainly think that if faith is something that can make someone as innocent as a child wish eternal torture upon someone who doesn't share the faith then it can most certainly not be a good thing.

I love science, and the scientific method. And I love how it lets me guard myself against the charlatans and frauds of the world. Against the astrologers and the Deepak Chopras and the Sri Sris of the world.

The only problem that I've ever had is that I've always felt alone. Everyone else I knew was big on their "rashee" and other spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Which is cool and all, but I just don't buy it. And so here I am.

I realize this may have been a bit disjointed, but I guess I had to let it out. Long story short, I'm 19, been an atheist and a scientist all my life, only realized it three years ago and only just found this forum. Wanna know more? Say hi!
[+] 1 user Likes TheNegativeZone's post
Hello TheNegativeZone!

Quote:The only problem that I've ever had is that I've always felt alone. Everyone else I knew was big on their "rashee" and other spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Which is cool and all, but I just don't buy it. And so here I am.

You would most certainly find good company here smile. Happy posting!
welcome to the forum. even i am new here but this seems promising. I can fully understand the stigma of being alone. I have known many people in my life, who dont care much about religion. who are very rational and probably agnostic. But it still doesnt count as much as a true atheist will do. to me athiesm isnt just non believing in religions. its not even about trust in scientific method. To me atheism is about being a human with an internal quest to be a good person and a valuable citizen for india and earth without the fear of a god or any spiritual/super natural reward/punishment system.
lets hope this community can become a social ground for people like us. lets help everyone in making it so.
Wink 
Hi all. I have always been a skeptic and never really believed in a supernatural entity. But the constant pressure from family and the fear of disappointing my parents had always kept me in the proverbial closet of theism. But that was in the past. I have decided to embrace freethinking/atheism/rationalism as an ideology to believe in for the rest of my life.
On a lighter note, I am quite disappointed that the username nastik was not already taken. [/font]