Dating and commitment, the atheist way.
(23-Aug-2010, 03:10 AM)murthymail Wrote: Dang! Freethinking just reduced the (already diminishing) potential single female samplespace available out there.

My future looks quite bleak. Huh Sweatdrop

Same here..
Why do you think that atheist guy in the next street is looking more and more attractive to me now?
Just kidding.. calm down guys.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
(23-Aug-2010, 03:10 AM)murthymail Wrote: Dang! Freethinking just reduced the (already diminishing) potential single female sample space available out there.

So does mine! Unless of course I meet the Atheist/humanist/rationalist woman of my dreams. Flowers
Aw hell, who am I fooling? I'm dooooooooooomed! Lol
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
(05-Jul-2011, 01:15 AM)nick87 Wrote:
(23-Aug-2010, 03:10 AM)murthymail Wrote: Dang! Freethinking just reduced the (already diminishing) potential single female sample space available out there.

So does mine! Unless of course I meet the Atheist/humanist/rationalist woman of my dreams. Flowers
Aw hell, who am I fooling? I'm dooooooooooomed! Lol

Well, maybe there's way more gloom and doom talk here than is warranted.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/how-ra...ne-dating/

I wouldn't go as far as calling that a 'scientific study' and it does little more than stating the obvious about fanatics of any hue finding it harder to get along with others than liberals, but it seems to suggest that there might be people out there willing to give skeptics a chance!

[+] 2 users Like arvindiyer's post
(06-Aug-2011, 03:04 AM)arvindiyer Wrote: Well, maybe there's way more gloom and doom talk here than is warranted.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/how-ra...ne-dating/

Nice, thanks for posting this, Arvind. "Laughing about it" looks like a good category to be in smile

Some interesting (although not entirely unexpected) observations, other than the obvious high Atheist - Atheist pairings:
1. The low likelihood of Muslim - Atheist couplings.
2.Both Hindu males and females pair off more often with Christians (both Protestants and Catholics) or Atheists/Agnostics than with other Hindus. Multiple interpretations are possible here.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(02-Jul-2010, 06:47 PM)unsorted Wrote: I once read this great comment on Sepia Mutiny: a potential partner has to be 3 things: smart, cute and sweet. These are all subjective of course: smarts that suit yours, attractiveness that attracts you, and values and personality that gel with yours. It's the "smart" aspect that's a stumbling block for most rationalists I think - whether to "settle" for someone who believes in god/thinks homeopathy works/doesn't know a logical fallacy from a lamp post. It's a toughie. Personally, I wouldn't rule out someone who isn't an atheist, because I myself wasn't an atheist for most of my life, and I would have been devastated had some awesome person rejected me because of that. People change their minds - if there's some smartness, cuteness and sweetness there, we should give them a chance.

This recent offering from Ape Not Monkey shared in a mostly lighter vein...
Valentines day cards for the 9/11 truther, creationist and theocrat.
[Image: 2013-02-11-Valentines-Day-Cards.jpg]

...but it may not exactly be a laughing matter after all, considering what we discussed in posts like this and this. In any case, freethought isn't a war on sweet nothings or even on cheesiness, but humanists ought to remain pitted against killjoys and bigots.
Well,
I just got out of a relationship with a guy who is exactly like my father.
And my father and I had diametrically opposite views.
This guy is chauvinistic, religious and hypocritical. I always thought that it only matters to me that the person I am with respects my views, but I also think it would compel me to respect theirs, and I can't respect theism.
So, it is pretty important to me that my partners view are based in logic, whatever they may be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nirmukta featured on The Friendly Atheist nick87 1 2,782 13-Jun-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: bala
  List of International Freethinker/Atheist Associations and Conferences siddharth 1 8,890 21-Jun-2011, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Meeting up at the World Atheist Conference PankajKulkarni 27 12,401 09-Jan-2011, 09:14 AM
Last Post: United_Floyd
  8th World Atheist conference donatello 10 7,179 16-Nov-2010, 10:13 PM
Last Post: donatello
  Atheist Nexus murthymail 3 3,009 14-Jun-2010, 10:05 PM
Last Post: donatello
  8th World Atheist Conference, Tiruchi, 7-9 Jan2011 drnbala 0 3,329 27-May-2010, 07:43 AM
Last Post: drnbala