Delete anti-religious posts: Delhi Court to networking sites
Should we protest against this? I hope Nirmukta is not one of them.

[Image: 25-12-pg8c.jpg]

Quote:A Delhi Court on Saturday ordered 22 social networking sites, including Facebook, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft, to remove all "anti-religious" or "anti-social" contents in the next one-and-a-half-month and file compliance reports by February 6, 2012. Additional Civil Judge Mukesh Kumar
related stories

Twitter to block Taliban's account?

passed the order on a suit filed by Mufti Aijaz Arshad Qasmi seeking to restrain the websites from circulating objectionable and defamatory contents.

Kumar had on December 20 issued summonses to the social networking sites and asked them to remove objectionable photographs, videos or texts that might hurt religious sentiments.

The order comes a day after a criminal court issued summonses to the sites for facing trial for allegedly webcasting objectionable contents. The court had also directed the Centre to take "immediate appropriate steps" and file a report by January 13.

Representatives of Yahoo India Pvt Ltd and Microsoft on Saturday told the court that they had not got copies of the order and complaint against them and pleaded the judge to provide the same. Qasmi's counsel told the court that he would supply the relevant documents to them.

Monitoring contents on the Internet, particularly those generated by users, has been a controversial issue and IT minister Kapil Sibal had recently raised the issue with representatives of some of these companies and discussed ways to ensure such contents are not posted.

The websites - asked to remove objectionable contents - include Facebook India, Facebook, Google India Pvt Ltd, Google Orkut, Youtube, Blogspot, Microsoft India Pvt Ltd, Microsoft, Zombie Time, Exboii, Boardreader, IMC India, My Lot, Shyni Blog and Topix.

A Google spokesperson told HT: "We comply with valid court orders wherever possible, consistent with our long standing policy. We're yet to receive the details of this order and can't comment on this specific case."

Yahoo, Microsoft and Facebook could not be reached for comments.

Source:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/technology...86483.aspx
This isn't done in anybody's interest. These individuals are scared that someone might say something that will rend the fabric of their fairy tales. Ideally if their belief in their idols/prophets are true, they should be able to resist the voices claiming otherwise at any cost. They should drown out the opposing voices as opposed to slicing their tongues in such a cowardly manner.
And they don't understand the irony behind their actions. How exactly is their religion one of peace or tolerance when others cannot have a say?
When there are members of their religion incessantly proselytizing and converting others to their fold, how is it a crime for a section of us to voice our views on the absence of said heavenly dictator? As Hitchens said, who amongst us could wish such a thing to be true?

Believe you me, this is a violation of free speech and the mark of its deterioration in this country. I'm not suggesting the rise of a theocratic influence in India , but if we can learn anything from the United States it's that their citizenship gives them the right of expression that is valued more than anything else and that is being slowly lost here.

"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
I think the decision can still be contested in the supreme court. I hope that happens and the judges have enough sense to see that one has to chose to look at some content on the Internet as opposed to being exposed to it without their consent.

An aside, as long as we have idiots like this, we can expect more lawsuits of this type.
I followed up on that link and yes it's face-palm worthy. The horrid spelling aside, what pray (no pun intended) tell is "Maha Rishi Jesus"? Is it that ridiculous story of Jesus surviving the crucifixion and coming to Kashmir?
I'm sorry if the question starts a communal riot on here Surrender
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
Sad 
(01-Jan-2012, 05:17 PM)shrihara Wrote: Should we protest against this? I hope Nirmukta is not one of them.

[Image: 25-12-pg8c.jpg]

Quote:A Delhi Court on Saturday ordered 22 social networking sites, including Facebook, Google, Yahoo and Microsoft, to remove all "anti-religious" or "anti-social" contents in the next one-and-a-half-month and file compliance reports by February 6, 2012. Additional Civil Judge Mukesh Kumar
related stories

Twitter to block Taliban's account?

passed the order on a suit filed by Mufti Aijaz Arshad Qasmi seeking to restrain the websites from circulating objectionable and defamatory contents.

Kumar had on December 20 issued summonses to the social networking sites and asked them to remove objectionable photographs, videos or texts that might hurt religious sentiments.

The order comes a day after a criminal court issued summonses to the sites for facing trial for allegedly webcasting objectionable contents. The court had also directed the Centre to take "immediate appropriate steps" and file a report by January 13.

Representatives of Yahoo India Pvt Ltd and Microsoft on Saturday told the court that they had not got copies of the order and complaint against them and pleaded the judge to provide the same. Qasmi's counsel told the court that he would supply the relevant documents to them.

Monitoring contents on the Internet, particularly those generated by users, has been a controversial issue and IT minister Kapil Sibal had recently raised the issue with representatives of some of these companies and discussed ways to ensure such contents are not posted.

The websites - asked to remove objectionable contents - include Facebook India, Facebook, Google India Pvt Ltd, Google Orkut, Youtube, Blogspot, Microsoft India Pvt Ltd, Microsoft, Zombie Time, Exboii, Boardreader, IMC India, My Lot, Shyni Blog and Topix.

A Google spokesperson told HT: "We comply with valid court orders wherever possible, consistent with our long standing policy. We're yet to receive the details of this order and can't comment on this specific case."

Yahoo, Microsoft and Facebook could not be reached for comments.

Source:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/technology...86483.aspx
The court has acted upon an application by a muslim person, which may mean that the material was uncomplementary to his religion. The court gives a ruling after hearing both the sides to a dispute. The fact that the court has ruled against the defendents means that either their defence was inadequate or they were guilty as accused.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The continuing tale of Religious Politics (South Asia) madhav 1 3,777 31-Jan-2013, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Captain Mandrake
  Rising religious events leave city police exhausted Lije 0 1,622 05-Feb-2012, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Lije
  Anti Superstition Bill Sajit 4 5,166 22-Sep-2010, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Swati
  Anti Superstition Legislation bala 2 2,891 20-May-2010, 01:18 AM
Last Post: siddharth