Ex-Muslim from Chennai
I've been an atheist for a year now. It's been a really great feeling and sensation of Freedom. I'm male and going to turn 19. I used to be the most religious person in my family. I know more about my religion than my family and also used to preach and debate with Non-Muslims. Then things changed, I'm semi-out of closet but still I'm being pestered by my parents to pray and read Quran.

Being an apostate of Islam is far more serious and dangerous than being one from any other religion because people are waiting to kill you just because your religion tells you. But the good thing is that most Indian parents aren't brought up with the violent ideology that Islam openly promotes. It's a good thing that they choose to ignore them. But it isn't always a good thing because it creates a wrong notion in their mind that Islam is actually a religion of peace and stick with it for the rest of your life. There are thousands of things that I can rant about Islam. It's the worst religion ever and I'm glad i'm not a part of it anymore.

Are there any Ex-Muslims in this forum? Also I would love hear from fellow atheists about Islam and I would also love to answer questions if any.
[+] 2 users Like dynadb's post
Welcome to the forum.

(01-May-2013, 05:34 PM)dynadb Wrote: I used to be the most religious person in my family. I know more about my religion than my family

That is interesting. But I guess the more you learn about reliogion the less you like it. The best way to become an atheist is to read religious books.
[+] 3 users Like Captain Mandrake's post
(01-May-2013, 05:34 PM)dynadb Wrote: Are there any Ex-Muslims in this forum? Also I would love hear from fellow atheists about Islam and I would also love to answer questions if any.

Welcome to the forums and hope to hear more about your experiences and aspirations as a freethinker. Earlier posts by members with a similar background can be read here and here. Feel free to present your take on the questions posed to them.
I too was born into a Muslim family and had renounced my 'faith' almost 12 years back. I understand the feeling of Freedom that you now feel. But be aware that the coming years will be extremely difficult for you. You will now have a better understanding of the world, but there will be more open doors, more issues to solve. You will start to doubt and question everything you know. Many things you thought socially acceptable will now seem repulsive. You will ponder over things like meaning of life, reason for existence, etc. I myself had gone into a bad phase; something that the Germans call Weltschmerz. Your challenge is to break through all of it; it is difficult, but not impossible.

Being an atheist in a muslim community is difficult; I'm suffering. I tried the 'open revolution' method initially and ended up upsetting a lot of people, after which I resorted to keeping my beliefs to myself. It is very important that Atheists in India unite and stay organized. Many Atheists are against this notion as they feel that being part of an organized Atheist movement is no different than being part of an organized religion. Even though we, human beings, live our own individual lives we have this innate need to be part of something; the need to be enlightened. Religious zealots unite under their faith, irrespective of how irrational their belief is, to achieve this. Conversations with these people will show how much they will fight to defend their belief and indoctrinate in onto to even though they cannot answer the simple questions like "What is the foundation for your belief?" or "Why should I believe?".

I see many things done in the name of religion that is degrading to an otherwise intelligent species. A revolution is due. I may not have the right answers; but what gives me hope is that I have definitely raised the right questions. Now it is upon us to raise the collective consciousness and find solutions to our problems.

(01-May-2013, 05:34 PM)dynadb Wrote: I've been an atheist for a year now. It's been a really great feeling and sensation of Freedom. I'm male and going to turn 19. I used to be the most religious person in my family. I know more about my religion than my family and also used to preach and debate with Non-Muslims. Then things changed, I'm semi-out of closet but still I'm being pestered by my parents to pray and read Quran.

Being an apostate of Islam is far more serious and dangerous than being one from any other religion because people are waiting to kill you just because your religion tells you. But the good thing is that most Indian parents aren't brought up with the violent ideology that Islam openly promotes. It's a good thing that they choose to ignore them. But it isn't always a good thing because it creates a wrong notion in their mind that Islam is actually a religion of peace and stick with it for the rest of your life. There are thousands of things that I can rant about Islam. It's the worst religion ever and I'm glad i'm not a part of it anymore.

Are there any Ex-Muslims in this forum? Also I would love hear from fellow atheists about Islam and I would also love to answer questions if any.
[+] 2 users Like shehin's post
hello dynadb,
it is admirable that at your age and with your back ground you have managed to see the truth. i know it is tough but hang in there.
cheers
Ex-Muslims Forums & Groups like Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain (CEMB), Ex-Muslims of North America, Ex-Muslims of French council, Former Muslims United, Apostates of Islam, Atheists who were Muslims, Ex-Muslim Meetup Groups, etc. have their presence worldwide.
Ex-Muslims: INDIA is an online platform for Atheist/Agnostics/Humanist/Rationalist brought up in or Converted to Islam. We stand for democracy, free speech, education, and the right of individuals to leave their faith freely and without persecution from their communities.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/exmuslims.india/ (Share this Link)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Those who want to know about Islam and especially Muslims/ex-Muslims should watch the movie 'The Message'. It is a biopic of Prophet Muhammed, shot in 70's. It is approved by Cairo University of Islam, so it is politically accurate according to Islam.

What I learned from the movie is that Muhammed was a very clever, cunning, opportunistic politician. If you can see the big picture of his actions and decisions, you will be convinced that Islam was nothing but about controlling the geopolitics of that time in favor of Arabs.