Current time: 02-09-2014, 12:12 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Faith School Menace - Brand new documentary by Richard Dawkins
donatello Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 75
Likes Rcvd: 34 in 19 posts

Faith School Menace - Brand new documentary by Richard Dawkins

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=...BA23C17C0F

It was released just a few days ago, and as is usual with works of Dawkins' I love it! Thumbup

In the Indian scenario I am not sure how bad the situation is, but I think that because schools follow a board's syllabus in India, the effect of teaching faith is perhaps mitigated. However, it still important that we keep an eye on the syllabus because there are often efforts to "saffronise" it.

Madrasas in India I think are a serious problem. I know of a person in IISc, who is Muslim, but though he studies at IISc, he still subscribes to rather medieval Islamic notions. The latest story is that he got together with his father and got rid of the TV and internet at their home, so that women in their home don't get "corrupted". It is despicable behaviour, but that's what happened. The indoctrination is just amazing. Scared To solve the problem seems to be a huge challenge. Because of the way Muslims are discriminated against in Indian society (they live in densely packed areas, often with poor facilities), it becomes a "majority stomping on the minority" issue, even to question actions of such persons as Zakir Naik. Sweatdrop

Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
unsorted Offline
Nirmukt Centurion

Likes Given: 90
Likes Rcvd: 70 in 33 posts

RE: Faith School Menace - Brand new documentary by Richard Dawkins

Great documentary, thanks for posting it. The segment in the Muslim school was sad and scary. Those poor kids. The school's principal says "The school's job is to provide all the information. It's up to the individuals to see what they believe and what they don't believe". Standard religious deception - make up your own mind, as long as it matches what our religion says. Dawkins pretty much embarrasses them when he makes the point that all 60 students in that classroom "made up their own minds" that evolution was not true.
(This post was last modified: 21-08-2010 12:43 AM by unsorted.)
Ajita Kamal Offline
Editor

Likes Given: 234
Likes Rcvd: 241 in 143 posts

Nice! Thank you for posting this, donatello! Thumbup

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Swati Offline
Nirmukt Centurion

Likes Given: 23
Likes Rcvd: 8 in 7 posts

In India too, it is the same situation. I saw a documentary on the Deoband school of Islam where male students learn to memorize and recite the Quran and nothing else - no sport, no TV, etc. Those interviewed said that they've gotten so used to the madrassa lifestyle that when they go home for holidays they asked their families to give up television.
donatello, that is a major problem - it is politically incorrect to question this education system because of the way the community is largely discriminated against. As Javed Akhtar once said that every time some obscure fatwa is issued, the media goes to him for his views, and it was awkward for him as he did not want to be on the side of the Muslim baiters.
If we had more free schools, may be poor parents would stop sending their children to these madrassas, sometimes only for the free boarding and lodging. It's the same in Pakistan also, poor rural women mention that they send one child so that he would be taken care of.
Swati Offline
Nirmukt Centurion

Likes Given: 23
Likes Rcvd: 8 in 7 posts

Lost Children of the Prophet

Madrassas are the cornerpiece of Muslim community life. In a disturbing twist, some of them are being used as transit shelters for child trafficking. Or worse, doubling up as sweatshops themselves.

From Tehelka Magazine, Vol 7, Issue 36, Dated September 11, 2010

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main46.asp?...rstory.asp
donatello Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 75
Likes Rcvd: 34 in 19 posts

This problem is corruption within religious indoctrination.

“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”

but it doesn't get better during second time or the third time, or ever!

Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
surya.prash17 Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Given: 0
Likes Rcvd: 0 in 0 posts

Another good series from Dawkin. It was interesting to see that kids are naturally inclined to think that everything has a purpose in its origin. America has taken care of this problem with "separation of state and church" in their constitution. This constitutional law has kept the creationists from succeeding in their schemes. It is really ridiculous to expect that kids are going to accept evolution as an explanation to human origins as opposed to a simpler God created humans from thin air. As soon as you start trying to understand evolution a thousand questions come up in your mind and unless someone is there to provide answers and evidences from scientists it is no surprise that all the kids in that class accepted the simpler theory were there is literally no room for questions.
I dont remember religion being taught in INDIA when I was in school. I am hoping it does stay that way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  MP Gov to introduce Gita in school nispat 7 3,792 05-06-2012 04:35 PM
Last Post: nick87
  School asking Affidavit for not following any religion kaartz 5 2,580 09-02-2012 11:45 AM
Last Post: Aamil Syed
  Origin of gods documentary nispat 0 855 09-12-2011 03:34 AM
Last Post: nispat
  Online School for everyone bala 2 1,787 06-01-2011 10:46 PM
Last Post: natselrox

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)