Films about social reformation in Tamil Nadu
Here is the one that I saw recently about Subramaniya Bharathi who worked against the caste system and was a great Tamil poet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...6652195462#
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...5360809882#
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...6300555783#

There is another film called Periyar (2006) that I want to see on Periyar who was a famous tamil atheist, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, online or otherwise. Have any of you seen these films?
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Thanks donatello, I look forward to watching this.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I've seen bits of Periyar. Will try to find if its online. Also, another classic social reform movie is "Agrahaaraththil Kazhudhai". Here's a review of the film. It's about a philosophy professor who gives refuge to a stray donkey and has to fight against bureaucracy and religious conservatives who insist he should get rid of it.

Just watched Kathal Kathai by director Velu Prabakaran, and I recommend it for those interested in feminist thinking and social attitudes concerning caste, women's rights, female nudity, lust and sex in India. The main message is that we should stop treating these subjects as taboo, because they are an essential component of our lives, and only open discussion on these subjects and making such discussions commonplace and normal can get rid of the abuse of women in India. The movie is pretty disturbing at times, so consider yourself forewarned. Also, be prepared to wade through a shitload of cheesy and immature male-female interaction.

My favorite line is very near the beginning even before the main part of the movie starts, when Prabakaran is in court and is asked why in a country where we look upon women as goddesses and virtuous he has captured them on screen in obscene and compromising positions, he replies that the idea that women are goddesses and virtuous is a lie that we have been telling women in order to keep them subjugated, and that we must view women as equal human beings first. This is the central thesis of my article here.

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(01-Sep-2010, 08:25 PM)bala Wrote: Also, another classic social reform movie is "Agrahaaraththil Kazhudhai". Here's a review of the film. It's about a philosophy professor who gives refuge to a stray donkey and has to fight against bureaucracy and religious conservatives who insist he should get rid of it.

The film is now available in full on Youtube (without subtitles though):
Part 1
Part 2
The video is subtitled. Seems to be the original subtitle given by the film maker.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science videos in Tamil. bala 0 4,235 02-Oct-2013, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bala
  Tamil castes- their History, current Status & Distribution Ajita Kamal 5 254,893 20-May-2011, 01:38 PM
Last Post: donatello
  Sai Baba Exposed - Secret Swami - BBC - Tamil Version Ajita Kamal 1 5,880 09-Feb-2011, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Naveen_Reloaded
  Pale Blue Dot in Tamil Ajita Kamal 14 10,703 18-Dec-2010, 07:54 PM
Last Post: gunniboy