Freethought.... ha ha ha.....
Guys, most of us keep our self under illusion thinking I'm a freethinker....

There is nothing like freethinking.. at least in this age .. bcuz all our so called thoughts are influenced by our interactions with people, reading some stuff and so on.... for instance if I say that this world is unreal...it' ok some one may say its a gre8 thought, but where am I getting this thought from ? may be i read some advaitic philosophy..

If i say this creation has been created by nature... this is influence of Sankhya system..

So, our thoughts are more or less influenced by others.. well some one may say naa some thoughts have sprung purely out of my mind and are not at all influenced by others. Its ok.. any way one has to answer his own conscience..

What do you all freethinkers have to say..
Are you sure you are in the right forum? Because this is NOT a "free thinkers" forum [no space] but a "freethinkers" forum.

What does freethought mean
(13-Dec-2013, 07:42 AM)Kanad Kanhere Wrote: Are you sure you are in the right forum? Because this is NOT a "free thinkers" forum [no space] but a "freethinkers" forum.

What does freethought mean

Good, thanks for correction I meant freethinkers.
(13-Dec-2013, 11:05 AM)hercules Wrote: Good, thanks for correction I meant freethinkers.

Did you check the link I had posted about what freethought means? Because that should automatically answer this post of yours (same is true for your comments on other threads).

Regards
Kanad
(13-Dec-2013, 09:57 PM)Kanad Kanhere Wrote:
(13-Dec-2013, 11:05 AM)hercules Wrote: Good, thanks for correction I meant freethinkers.

Did you check the link I had posted about what freethought means? Because that should automatically answer this post of yours (same is true for your comments on other threads).

Regards
Kanad
Thnx, I read d post, there its mentioned "The word ‘Freethought’ refers to a set of philosophies that adopt science, reason and logic as tools for understanding the natural world, rejecting sources of authority and tradition, such as religion, that claim infallible truth and require blind allegiance."

Rejecting sources of authority and tradition? tradition has so many meanings but authority, every one must accept some authority.
for instance, by inference i can conclude wherever there is smoke there is fire. before making this conclusion i must accept an authority to know what is fire? what is smoke? Nobody takes birth with all the knowledge at every step we must accept an authority to gain knowledge about the things. authority could be any one mother, father, teacher.
Even to understand science we must accept authority!!!!
In school when they taught you(all) speed of sound as 330 m/sec, I wonder If you have questioned your teacher. why shoul i accept this? v simply accepted.
They say we landed on moon, we accepted. but then why is Neil armstrong the first and the last man to land on moon y no one else tried, any way this is a diff issue ( moon landing - bogus).

Well, I can go on abt tradition and other things, but want to hear frm you.

Regards,
Hercules.
(14-Dec-2013, 07:21 PM)hercules Wrote: Thnx, I read d post,....

......every one must accept some authority.
for instance, by inference i can conclude wherever there is smoke there is fire. before making this conclusion i must accept an authority to know what is fire? what is smoke? Nobody takes birth with all the knowledge at every step we must accept an authority to gain knowledge about the things. authority could be any one mother, father, teacher.

Sure you read the post but did not make any effort to understand it. Let me try to explain freethought to you again with the example of Newton's theory of gravitation. According to Newton the force of attraction between two bodies is proportional to the product of the masses of these bodies and inversely proportional to the distance between these bodies. Accepting this theory because it was proposed by Newton would mean that it is being accepted based on authority. But that is not what freethought is about. Instead freethought requires you to accept this theory only because (and only to the extent to which) the theory agrees with empirical observations (eg. orbit of Moon around the Earth and Earth around the Sun). Authority plays no role here.

PS: I believe you are not a freethinker and debating you is a pointless exercise. But I do not like the idea of letting your silly post stand with out a response.

PPS: Moderators, I think that you can shut down this thread (and perhaps delete all posts by the user hercules in other threads) for it serves no purpose. There is another thread that adequately explains freethought as pointed out by Kanad in an earlier post.
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Mandrake's post