Greetings from Bangalore
Hello All,

I am Jeru Manoj, PhD Scholar at Dept. of Human Genetics, NIMHANS.

I am pleased about this initiative and to be become a part of it. Hoping to have
many a fruitful discussions.

Regards,
Jeru
(13-Jun-2013, 03:50 PM)jerumm Wrote: Hello All,

I am Jeru Manoj, PhD Scholar at Dept. of Human Genetics, NIMHANS.

I am pleased about this initiative and to be become a part of it. Hoping to have
many a fruitful discussions.

Regards,
Jeru

Welcome to the forums! Here is an earlier image from Nirmukta on how human genetics can introduce our family to ourselves.
[Image: tumblr_m5d4cuiIms1rocky0o1_1280.png]

Initiatives like this can benefit a lot from timely from members with a genetics background, since a lot of genuine as well as willful misconceptions are in circulation about ancestral origins, which are exploited to peddle notions of civilizational supremacism. Here are news items and related Nirmukta discussions on which it will be useful to have a geneticist weighing in:

(1) A near-permanent anecdote in Dr. Subramanian Swamy's speeches is about a DNA test he commissioned with a surreptitiously acquired sample of Raj Thackeray's hair which attested to his 'North Indian' origins. Here is a video sample and earlier media coverage. Dr. Swamy is very economical about details of the lab he commissioned the test in or the peer-reviewed publications that support his sweeping conclusions about racial origins. Here is a forum member's take on Swamy's views. A fuller fact-check seems to be in order.

(2) The perennially controversial question of Aryan origins is the topic of this comment trail. It would help to add updates from later research findings.

(3) Recently, IIT Kanpur has been hosting lectures (1, 2) by UK-based physician Premendra Priyadarshi who claims to marshal human genetic evidence to provide astonishingly remote estimates of Indian civilizational origins. It will be useful to read critical appraisals of such claims and check if there is corroboration from mainstream peer-reviewed science rather than mavericks on the fringes with a revivalist agenda.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Prabhu -Bangalore - new member online prabhu_g 3 4,188 14-May-2015, 08:43 AM
Last Post: abdulaziz
  Free Thinker from Bangalore vpshyam 1 2,696 17-Oct-2013, 03:08 PM
Last Post: bringsmiles
  Greetings from Bangalore nishan_n 3 2,531 11-Jun-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: natselrox