Hello!
Even though born in a Hindu family, I was almost never religious, fiddled around with "spiritual" beliefs for a long time including a stint with Hindu nationalism thanks to my Dad, but became a 'definitive' atheist around the age of 12 or 13. Was completely unaware of what this would mean later (4 years is a lot of time in this development period we call teenage) in life so it wasn't such a cathartic experience as it would've been for the rest of you. It just happened gradually without any sudden disturbance thanks to my already rational and scientific outlook towards life. Later, with confrontation about my "weird" behavior with friends (supportive) and parents (indifferent) and relatives (antagonized), I came to realize just what I was up to for all these years.

Ironically, got introduced to Harris, Dawkins and the rest of the brigade much later, around when I was 14 or 15, through orkut's Atheists v/s Theists (moderated) community. They've got HUNDREDS of Indians there, and atleast a couple dozen are active on a daily basis. -- Sagan's an exclusion though, realized he's an atheist much after watching COSMOS over and over again. His love for the cosmos and life pulled me to him as a Human first.

On a personal level, 17, born and brought up in Mumbai. Studying FYBA (Psychology, Economics and English Literature) and planning on taking up a B.Sc. through IGNOU coinciding with SYBA. Play the bass primarily with some guitar and drums. Love making sandwiches, especially the ones with weezarella. Fan of all things prehistoric, pre-Medieval, existential, Science fiction and Soviet Union.

Here to help, volunteer and kick some saffron ass!
Hi iconoclastmolotov, welcome to the community!

It sounds like you did indeed have a natural predisposition towards reason. Nice to have you on board!
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Hi! Nice to 'meet' you. We wish to kick more than just the saffron butt though. The green and white ones, for example :)
(29-Jun-2010, 02:51 PM)siddharth Wrote: Hi! Nice to 'meet' you. We wish to kick more than just the saffron butt though. The green and white ones, for example smile

Oh good!
Maybe we can start with this story from Assam about Christian militants forcing Hindus to convert:

Quote:The problem began when Hmar miscreants stated themselves to be the members of Manmasi National Christian Army and had started putting pressure on the Hindu residents of Bhuvan Pahar to become Christian. The local residents informed that Manmasi National Christian Army cadres had painted Cross symbol on the wall of the temples with their blood.

Sources further said that the pressure from the Hmar militants began about two months ago, when the Congress-led government by Lalthanhwala came into power in the state of Mizoram. At least seven to eight Hmar youths were frequently visiting Bhuvan Pahar, which had nearly 700 Hindu people as well as eight Hindu temples. These youths approached with gun in one hand and the Bible in the other. They had a meeting with the villagers in Tezpur village on the Bhuvan Pahar and distributed Bible among them. They had also built on a Church in Tezpur village.

Meanwhile, Rajkumar, priest of the Naga Mandir on Bhuvan Pahar informed the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) members that he was forced by the Hmar to show them the tracks on the Pahar at gun point. Further, the Hmar posted a flag, a tabloid and a Holy Cross on the wall of one of the temples bearing date May 29, 2009;
(13-Jul-2010, 05:08 AM)TTCUSM Wrote: Oh good!
Maybe we can start with this story from Assam about Christian militants forcing Hindus to convert:

Please move this discussion topic to the appropriate forum- the Christianity forum in the religion category: http://nirmukta.net/Forum-Christianity
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Hi my name is Nasir Ghaffar Student of MBA age 25. My hobby is Ride Beautiful sports Bikes. I am doing a part time job in a web developing office. I have a cat pet.Thanks