Hello!
Hello everyone,

My name is Sameer Marathe. I am an engineer working in the US. I grew up in India with a normal - not extremely religious but not quite free of it either - family. I would say I was quite religious, believed in god, went to the temple etc. When I was in college, I read a lot of about Hindu philosophy through books by Swami Vivekanand, Vinoba Bhave etc. After coming to the US, I started practicing meditation with a Buddhist group in my university and so I learned a lot about Buddhism. At the same time, I was reading books by Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Dan Dennett, Steven Pinker etc. This led me to skepticism and atheism. I believe I am ~ 6.99 on the Theist --> Atheist spectrum that Dawkins defines in God Delusion.

I am very happy that I found a group of fellow freethinkers from India. Much of the discussion in conferences and meetings of skeptics here in the US is (rightly) focused on issues in the US/Western world. I believe skepticism and free-thought has deep roots in India. Organizations like "Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti" in Maharashtra are doing great work in getting rid of superstitions and fighting all kinds of non-science and nonsense peddled by god-(wo)men. I would like to do my part to help by promoting such efforts, supporting them monetarily or in any other way to the best of my efforts.

Best regards,
Sameer
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. People who know binary numbers and people who don't.
Hi Sameer, welcome to Nirmukta!

(11-Jun-2011, 11:58 PM)transmogrifier Wrote: I believe I am ~ 6.99 on the Theist --> Atheist spectrum that Dawkins defines in God Delusion.

Most of us here are on the same scale!

(11-Jun-2011, 11:58 PM)transmogrifier Wrote: I believe skepticism and free-thought has deep roots in India. Organizations like "Andhashraddha Nirmoolan Samiti" in Maharashtra are doing great work in getting rid of superstitions and fighting all kinds of non-science and nonsense peddled by god-(wo)men. I would like to do my part to help by promoting such efforts, supporting them monetarily or in any other way to the best of my efforts.

Yes India has a history of organizations that do the very important work of spreading scientific temper by performing "miracles" and conducting awareness sessions. In fact, one of the senior advisors for Nirmukta is Narendra Nayak, who is the president of FIRA. He writes about his activism here.