Hello, Nirmukta!
Hi,

I am a female, 22 years of age, and recently just found out that I lack a belief in "god", or the concept of "god". I put god in quotations because I find the whole concept quite absurd (I apologize if I have offended any religious sensitivities, but I am only trying to be honest). I sympathize with Paganism but I find the idea of "gods" also inadequate. However, having more than one does seem persuasive, because as Dawkins jokingly put it, "more than one does seem better".

But, why can't theists approach the atheist's lacking of belief in an understanding manner? Atheists are not creating challenges. They are only addressing the arguments, beliefs, exclamations, etc. put forth by theists. In other words, atheists are just reacting to the arguments of theists.

I grew up in Chandigarh to Christian parents, but my whole family (including my cousins) is pretty much non-religious. Throughout my teenage years, I wanted to fit in. I tried Sikhism (which I find fascinating and colorful), but it didn't work out, and my Punjabi is absolutely horrid (oh, and did I mention that I am Punjabi?). I even tried Buddhism and Jainism, but the two didn't quite work out. However, I do find Jainism a little too extreme in its regard to abstaining from harming any living thing (and, I do like meat, especially Butter Chicken [I hope I didn't offend any vegetarians, if so, please forgive me]). Lastly, I tried Islam and Hinduism. I didn't like the false sense of "brotherhood" that Islam purports and found the "subservient wife/female" attitude quite anti-female (I'm a feminist, by the way). Hinduism was way too odd.

I understand that my ancestors were Hindus or Vedic peoples or whatever the term is that they applied onto themselves. But, I find the rituals quite superstitious and insanely boring (sorry, fellow Hindu members!). I also deplore the whole notion of caste. Almost the whole world has gotten rid of caste/class, why can't rural India? Heck, even at CU many of my friends still were pretty casteist (even the non-Hindu ones). My parents say that their great grandparents were Brahmins before they converted to Catholicism. But, the conversion didn't stop them and my grandparents from marrying only other "Brahmin Christian Catholics". I found hypocrisy in every religion that I looked at, except Sikhism and Jainism.

Anyways, I hope I can fit in with all of you and I hope to engage in constructive discourse with the many Nirmukta members. If I have offended religious sensitivities, please forgive me. I'm still trying to find my way in the world and I wish to fit in and contribute to society. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make an introduction. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Fuze (Michelle Singh)
Dear Mods/Admins,

How can I edit my signature? Can you please help me?

Sincerely,
Michelle Singh/Fuze
(28-Nov-2013, 03:18 AM)Fuze Wrote: Dear Mods/Admins,

How can I edit my signature? Can you please help me?

Sincerely,
Michelle Singh/Fuze

Welcome to the forums.
Before I answer your query, I will take the liberty to point out what Nirmukta is all about (http://nirmukta.com/about/). Also what freethought means (http://nirmukta.net/Thread-What-is-Freethought)

About the signature: You should find a hyperlink named "User CP" when you login. Clicking on that link should take you to a page where you will find an option "Change signature" under "Your Profile" tab. I hope that helps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW TO NIRMUKTA krispookat 0 2,102 28-Jun-2015, 05:04 PM
Last Post: krispookat
  Hi, Nirmukta :) Poonguntan Cibi 1 3,155 09-Feb-2013, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Lije