Help! They're driving me Crazy!
Here's the point of this thread.

I have very little time or tolerance for people without the fundamental knowledge or rudimentary brain function necessary to have a normal conversation.

I'm sure there are others like myself who are too pressed to devote time and energy communicating with all the people out there who may or may not become freethinkers someday. There was a time when I did that all day, but now I have to spend a lot of time promoting freethought in a different capacity.

But I know that some of you enjoy talking to people who may believe in all types on superstitious ideas, and have the time to try and bring them over to the dark side Devil2

So, why not help each other out? I get a lot of attention from some pretty nutty folks, and I could really use the help of those interested in trying to talk some sense into them.

To begin, here is a rather annoying commenter on one of my blog posts, claiming that dinosaurs and humans walked the earth together. After presenting some nonsense arguments, he is now presenting the tale of some lady who recalls living with dinosaurs. And oh, she recalled this during a session of past life regression. Apparently the report of this in a newspaper is scientific evidence as far as he is concerned.

I cannot reply to this guy without wanting to kill myself. Things like these make me lose hope in humanity. Please, please.. HELP!

Edit: It is a valid question whether in fact there is any point at all in dealing with such folks. Should we draw a line that would decide whether or not to write someone off as being a hopeless case? If not, how do we deal with such people who are so far out?
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(04-Nov-2010, 03:32 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: To begin, here is a rather annoying commenter on one of my blog posts, claiming that dinosaurs and humans walked the earth together.
The fellow's comments are hilarious. Kind of like listening to a kidLol

Quote:I cannot reply to this guy without wanting to kill myself.
You just have to wait till his own irrationality kills him.smile

Quote:Should we draw a line that would decide whether or not to write someone off as being a hopeless case

Some hopeless cases can still be made to listen to reason and maybe go over to the dark side. But this commentator seems immune to any kind of reasoning.So might be a waste of time and energy
I'll help. But I seriously think freethought needs a 101 blog, just like the Feminism 101 Blog:

The first reason FF101 exists is to help ensure that discussions between feminists don’t get continually derailed by challenges from newbies and/or antagonists to explain and justify our terminology and conclusions to them, right now! Substantive challenges can be valuable, but constantly having to explain basic theory over and over, when an interesting discussion was underway, gets really frustrating. There’s a time and a place for discussing the basics, and disrupting a discussion on other feminist topics is not that time and place.

So rather than answer the same basic questions in various forums, we could simply link to the 101 blog. It's a very effective strategy. I'm sure we could get freethinkers from all around the world on board. What do you think??
[+] 4 users Like unsorted's post
Quote:I cannot reply to this guy without wanting to kill myself. Things like these make me lose hope in humanity. Please, please.. HELP!

I did not try to talk any sense to the guy, but I did try to use his nonsensical logic. If you find my comment too distasteful or too harsh, do remove it.
(04-Nov-2010, 09:58 PM)Lije Wrote: I did not try to talk any sense to the guy, but I did try to use his nonsensical logic. If you find my comment too distasteful or too harsh, do remove it.

Lije, you've gone far there ROTFL

I don't think he's going to come back if he even gets a little bit of that post Big Grin
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Lije!! Dude! That was kick ass!

@Ajita: hehe!!! smile. I can actually see the frustration in that post of yours. But unsorted's idea is brilliant. We need to come up with a FAQ. An FAQ that we can share to creationists. A FAQ tailor made for Indian folks. Its a big project and i'm definitely interested, if we have a few people, we can make a new sticky and start adding FAQs. Manually arguing with complete nut heads like those is a futile job. If a person goes through the FAQ and still has interesting questions, then we can spend time discussing. Its like a screening process ;).
(04-Nov-2010, 09:36 PM)unsorted Wrote: I'll help. But I seriously think freethought needs a 101 blog, just like the Feminism 101 Blog
So rather than answer the same basic questions in various forums, we could simply link to the 101 blog. It's a very effective strategy. I'm sure we could get freethinkers from all around the world on board. What do you think??

Thanks for this idea, Sunil. We have been discussing a similar idea in more genenral terms for over a year now. A plan to create a database of "Indian Woo" is already in the works. It will most likely be a wiki site. Professor Nayak initially brought up the idea for an on-ground database as part of something he was already involved in, and we (mainly Shobhit and Siddharth) proposed that this be done online. Since then we have been unable to proceed on this, but we're biding our time.

Of course, what you are suggesting is different from a database on Indian woo. But I think that a general 101 blog will be redundant because many of the topics are already covered on various websites. For example, pretty much every creationist argument against evolution has an answer on http://talkorigins.org/. Skepdic.com covers very well many of the topics that we might argue with believers about. As for arguments against god, there are again plenty of sites/forums that have succinctly and thoroughly dealt with the questions.

Building blogs doesn't take much, but maintaining them becomes a huge deal, because creating original content for blog posts on yet another blog is not something that many of us have time for. So, any site that we put energy and time into will have to be justified in terms of how useful it will be. Keeping all these points in mind, what do you think we can do?

(04-Nov-2010, 09:58 PM)Lije Wrote:
Quote:I cannot reply to this guy without wanting to kill myself. Things like these make me lose hope in humanity. Please, please.. HELP!

I did not try to talk any sense to the guy, but I did try to use his nonsensical logic. If you find my comment too distasteful or too harsh, do remove it.

LOL, Lije, that post was hilarious! Man, you should go into writing sci-fi!
(05-Nov-2010, 10:21 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:
(04-Nov-2010, 09:58 PM)Lije Wrote:

LOL, Lije, that post was hilarious! Man, you should go into writing sci-fi!

Pity that thick skinned moron didn't get any of it. Either that, or he's wasting his life trolling around. Thumbdown
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
@Ajita: True that there are many many 101's FAQ's already around. But I thought it made sense to compile a version tailored for the Indian audience (and more specifically the hindu audience). Most of the existing blogs only answer questions posed by Christians. We can tailor the questions and answer the common questions that are asked by Hindus and Indians. Wont that be a different venture?
@Donatello: Oh! I'm pretty sure hes trolling or has the IQ of a snail! Cmon! That was an obvious jab and he just walked around it like Lije was his best friend in the world. Dont bother replying guys. Just another regular old troll :(
Yup I agree there are many great sites like talkorigins and skepdic out there. I just feel that it's all very fragmented. I'm often faced with a scenario where I think "I've heard this argument before..." and I know there's an answer out there, but I have to go looking for it on multiple sites and in multiple books, and compose my answer from them. I find it hard to keep most of this stuff in memory - this might be a personal failing of mine. Take atheism - say I want to explain and promote my atheism in a single facebook wall post - what link could I use? I just looked at my firefox bookmarks for "atheist" - found lots of links, but no single link would meet all needs.

A 101 site could thus be the port of call whenever you need a quick primer to any topic. The site itself would hardly have any original content, mostly links to sites like the ones above. There would probably only be a one-time effort of setting up a topic's page with some basic text. Then a few topic owners would simply update it going forward. As an example, take the rape culture 101 on FF101 - if you bookmarked it, you could instantly whip it out in any discussion and simply say "this has been addressed on the Feminism 101 site, please see this link". Or take this page from Nirmukta itself - I bookmarked it a long time ago because it was a good rebuttal to the Stalin-Hitler-Polpot thing. Imagine having pages like these on every conceivable freethought topic, in a single website... I think it would be a valuable resource for us.