Hi All
Wink 
Glad to be amongst people who think alike. 25 yrs back when I was being forced (through coercion) to do daily rituals like Sandhyavandane, parshanchane, regular idol worship, I wish I had people like you to talk to.

Introduction: I am in my late 30s, I grew up in South Bangalore. I have been reading your blogs, and finally decide to participate in the conversations. I have been living in Southern Calif. for the past 12 yrs, and enjoy a active outdoor life. (biking, tennis, photography) I also participate in the local chapters of Atheists and agnostics. This may come as a surprise, but I find it very hard to find Indians/Desis who are free thinkers in California. Most (even scientists and professors) have pledged their lives to the temples, swamis & babas. It certainly feels good to be here.

Looking forward to good times, & greater participation. Thumbup
Welcome aboard mate
Hey, welcome to the forums!
I've been living in New York for the past few years, and its not very difficult to find desi freethinkers around here. I have met some great freethinkers in NY at various atheist/skeptic events. But, very often people's immediate cultural needs take precedence Blink
But in my case, there's plenty of self-selection going on smile
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Welcome, mate! You'll like it around here!
(22-Dec-2010, 02:03 AM)muffintop Wrote: This may come as a surprise, but I find it very hard to find Indians/Desis who are free thinkers in California. Most (even scientists and professors) have pledged their lives to the temples, swamis & babas.

There must be something in the water down there in California. Just a couple of days ago, I was on the phone with a friend from California. I casually asked her if she watched the lunar eclipse from a few days ago, and she says "No. I actually stayed awake till 3:30AM as suggested by my mom, coz pregnant ladies are supposed to stay awake and read Ramayan. But I didnt go out and see the eclipse".

Anyways, welcome to the community muffintop. The internet community is indeed a great watering hole and game-changer for us.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
[+] 1 user Likes astrokid.nj's post
(23-Dec-2010, 10:05 PM)astrokid.nj Wrote: There must be something in the water down there in California. Just a couple of days ago, I was on the phone with a friend from California. I casually asked her if she watched the lunar eclipse from a few days ago, and she says "No. I actually stayed awake till 3:30AM as suggested by my mom, coz pregnant ladies are supposed to stay awake and read Ramayan. But I didnt go out and see the eclipse".

ROTFL
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
During the solar eclipse earlier this year, the frigging CEO of my company sent out a company wide email advising people not to eat or drink during the eclipse, "according to Hindu tradition". Needless to say, I'm no fan of his.

PS Welcome to the oasis, muffintop. smile
I luv ur name!!! But now u reminded me of muffins!! :(
Welcome aboard smile.

*runs to the nearby stores searching for muffins*

[+] 2 users Like mohankarthik's post