06-May-2011, 10:48 AM
How can religion be made to finally disappear?
06-May-2011, 11:14 AM
Can you say which definition of religion you are thinking of? I'm sure depending on the definition, and you know there are many of these, religion may or may never become extinct. Its important to know what the premises are here. Which type of religion are we talking about?
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
06-May-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree with Ajita. I don't think religion will ever go away. But I'd be happy to see it relegated to the same status as other personal beliefs that people have, like their favorite genre of literature/music.
Here are some 1-minute video-clips from Christopher Hitchens suggesting and summarizing a realistic stance on this issue.
What we are pushing for is not exactly an abolition of religion, but this 'pact with the faithful': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lAeIYb8RZk#t=13m18s
...involving a wall of separation between Church and State: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lAeIYb8RZk#t=7m56s
and here's what we think Religion must do to earn some modest respect from us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXyLS4YKHM#t=2m26s
07-May-2011, 02:24 PM
(06-May-2011, 11:14 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Oh boy.Organised religion, of course. Irrational personal beliefs, of people, as long as they do not affect others overtly, are perfectly in harmony with a secular society. Organised religions with vast controls over public life like Hinduism, Islam or Christianity are the ones I want to see disappear.
(06-May-2011, 06:16 PM)Lije Wrote: I agree with Ajita. I don't think religion will ever go away. But I'd be happy to see it relegated to the same status as other personal beliefs that people have, like their favorite genre of literature/music.
I am absolutely certain that religion will go away. There are several easons for this. One is science. Scince is progressing at a fast pace and our lives are increasingly becoming dependent on science. Science has contributed a great deal to atheism, and it will continue to do so at a a faster pace in future. Secondly, Europe is in final stages of turning totally atheist. We Indians do not take a lead but are good at following wsterners. We will follow west, at a safe distance. (Madhukar Kulkarni.)
13-Jan-2012, 10:56 AM
I give not more than 200 years for religion to die.
12-Jul-2012, 01:30 PM
Well it depends on Our modern science . If we could have more geniuses like einstein and hawking . it will be take less than a century for religion to be difficult t perish....
12-Jul-2012, 06:48 PM
We need the following:
1. A society that is open to new ideas and unafraid of dogmatism.
2. The members of said society must be able to admit that the faults of other religions are present in theirs as well (in some way or the other).
3. Dogmatism is dogmatism and extremism cannot be forgiven. It should be unacceptable to say "Our religion or our society is better than theirs because extremism is noted at lower frequencies in our faith."
4. People should be guaranteed the right to speech and discourse under ANY circumstance. If a man has to flee to Finland to avoid being arrested and kept in jail indefinitely without bail, just because he pointed out the true nature of the Catholic Church, it speaks loads of how free a country really is.
5. The older generations need to die out. They have been soaked in religion for years and cannot be reasoned with easily. The younger generation have a better chance at rationally analysing and making reasonable decisions.
6. Finally, we need to be confrontational. A set of medieval beliefs have caused too much violence,xenophobia, misogyny and untouchability. Calling out the bullshit when we see it goes a long way.
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
|Possibly Related Threads...|
|Roots of Religion||satheeshpaul||1||1,671||
04-Oct-2015, 09:14 PM
Last Post: LogicalAtheist
|A documentary on the relation between religion, terrorists and financial organization||fall13vox||2||3,572||
17-Nov-2012, 11:21 PM
Last Post: fall13vox
|Karl Marx on criticism of religion||madhav||1||10,290||
29-Oct-2012, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Deleted User
|Freethought, Atheism and Religion discussion from Delhi Freethinkers fb group||Ajita Kamal||1||5,640||
21-Apr-2011, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal