Poll: How many rationalists/atheists/agnostics do you know personally
< 5
< 10
< 20
> 20
[Show Results]

How many rationalists/atheists/agnostics do you know personally
By "know personally" I mean people who are your family/friends/relatives and who you meet from time to time in meatspace.

I know of one guy who is an agnostic and is also a rationalist.
Among my relatives I have seen few rationalists and/or atheists in my grandparents' generation. However, my parents' generation and my generation are a big letdown compared to that generation. Well, one of my relatives (who is no more) once told me "unlike them we don't do too much god" looking amused at his overzealous nephews and nieces(my parents' generation). My own paternal grandfather (also dead) was supposedly 'didn't believe much' according to his daughter (my aunt). But I was too small to know him better.
Manju Vadiarillat
I have been lucky in this regard. Most of my best friends since childhood have turned out to be atheists. To be more precise, I became friends with people who I found out were atheists much later. In some cases, they deconverted after we became friends.

Just to clear the air: I at not point of time even discussed the issue (religion, belief, disbelief etc) until much after I deconverted, and so did everyone else. In fact, I found out their religious views only when I read their facebook profiles. What I am trying to imply is that there was absolutely no "peer pressure" when it came to this issue from any side.

As one would guess, religious beliefs aren't the criteria which affects how well I get along with someone.
Not much. :(
I have met a lot of people who keep saying they don't believe in a God, but haven't met any rationalists/freethinkers. I know maybe 2-3 real feminists. It's sad really.
The poll results are following a nicely shaped Normal Curve :)
Yeah the bell shape is pretty cool.

It's a bit sad that the peak is at 10 people though because thats only 1/15 of the theoretical cognitive limit of the number of social relationships one person can maintain ( Dunbar's number - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number)

Does that mean all of us free-thinkers are surrounded by theists ? I feel like I am most of the time.

I do think that a lot of people are 'culturally Hindu', 'observant but not a believer' and 'spiritual but not religious' etc. Maybe a poll that asks for - ' Number of fundamental believers you know' might also be interesting.
That is correct, anomaly. I know for a fact that my theist friends outnumber my freethinker friends.

But good idea: let's have a poll for fundamentalist believers too! I'll start a thread and post the link.

EDIT: Here is the new poll, as suggested by anomaly: http://nirmukta.net/Thread-How-many-fund...personally
Awesome !!! Thanks for setting that up. it'll be great to get a bigger sample size to see how the results pan out.
Why do people put some conservative figures whenever they run such a poll? Personally, I know a hell of a lot of atheists. Most of my school-mates atheists and so is a considerable section of my college-buddies. In fact, I think, I know far less fundies. smile
(20-Jul-2010, 07:48 PM)natselrox Wrote: Why do people put some conservative figures whenever they run such a poll?

The conservative numbers come from the people I know (only 1 agnostic). Sad

Quote:Personally, I know a hell of a lot of atheists. Most of my school-mates atheists and so is a considerable section of my college-buddies. In fact, I think, I know far less fundies. smile

You seem to be in good company! Thumbup
Yeah Natselrox, you seem to be in great company! smile

May I know which subjects you studied in university or which university you went to? If you wish not to divulge such details, it is OK. It's just that I'm curious to know where this utopia (what's a hyperbole here and there between friends?) is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Use of animation to get atheists' message across thenastik 3 2,378 02-Nov-2010, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Former believers: what made you become atheists/agnostics/freethinkers? madhav 8 4,298 10-Oct-2010, 01:41 AM
Last Post: anandinqalab
  How many fundamentalist believers do you know personally? siddharth 4 2,556 20-Jul-2010, 09:10 PM
Last Post: siddharth