Howdy?
Hello All,

Nice to see a good crowd here. Till I came across the "Indian Atheists" on fb, I didn't know there were enough numbers in our country who promote Naturalism/Secular Humanism/Rationalism. Though I distinctly remember watching Dr. Narendra Nayak (spelling?) on "The Secret Swami" (BBC).

Well, I am 25 now, from Cochin though in the past 4 years I have been in bangalore (employed), then resigned and went to NY for doing my Masters. Currently home for summer vacation. Was happy to see a Nirmukta-Kerala sub-forum too. smile [as an addition: though Kerala is supposed to be a communism party supporting state, as much as the Congress, I don't think anything outside of political ideology is really practiced! well, I could be wrong. I consider myself apolitical.]

Back in NY, I am part of the Freethought group on campus - the UBFreethinkers (http://www.ubfreethinkers.org) which works closely with CFI (Center for Inquiry).

As for personal interests - Astronomy, Computational Sciences - AI & Parallel Computing Algorithms, Evolutionary Biology, Cognitive Science and I am currently starting to get my hands dirty with Cellular Automata.

Carl Sagan and Christopher Hitchens would my personal 'heroes' if thats the term and "Calvin and Hobbes" is probably the best literary work out there Big Grin.

Hope discuss related topics, agree on some and disagree on others!

Cheers,
Suraj
'The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.' - Carl Sagan
Hey yo! Welcome and omgz you are a smarty-pants aren't you!! Big Grin Big Grin Cognitive science, evolutionary biology...wow. I'm Jen btw. Hope to see around the forums! GO CRAZY!! Lots to talk about!
(03-Jul-2010, 04:36 PM)quazifnatik Wrote:

Well, I am 25 now, from Cochin though in the past 4 years I have been in bangalore (employed), then resigned and went to NY for doing my Masters. Currently home for summer vacation. Was happy to see a Nirmukta-Kerala sub-forum too. smile [as an addition: though Kerala is supposed to be a communism party supporting state, as much as the Congress, I don't think anything outside of political ideology is really practiced! well, I could be wrong. I consider myself apolitical.]

Carl Sagan and Christopher Hitchens would my personal 'heroes' if thats the term and "Calvin and Hobbes" is probably the best literary work out there Big Grin.

Hi dude! Welcome to Nirmukta!

What you're saying about politics seems a bit hard to understand. You seem to be saying that "No party implements its political ideology", but what you've written actually says the opposite: "I don't think anything outside of political ideology is really practiced!".

Though I'm not a Keralite, it is quite evident that the freethinkers and rationalists group there is doing great!

Oh, and I'm also a great fan of Calvin and Hobbes. It's definitely genius material W00t

We'll be around to see what you have to say about various topics smile
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
(03-Jul-2010, 04:36 PM)quazifnatik Wrote: Hello All,

Nice to see a good crowd here. Till I came across the "Indian Atheists" on fb, I didn't know there were enough numbers in our country who promote Naturalism/Secular Humanism/Rationalism. Though I distinctly remember watching Dr. Narendra Nayak (spelling?) on "The Secret Swami" (BBC).

Back in NY, I am part of the Freethought group on campus - the UBFreethinkers (http://www.ubfreethinkers.org) which works closely with CFI (Center for Inquiry).

As for personal interests - Astronomy, Computational Sciences - AI & Parallel Computing Algorithms, Evolutionary Biology, Cognitive Science and I am currently starting to get my hands dirty with Cellular Automata.

Cheers,
Suraj

Welcome Suraj. Its great to have you on board !
Welcome, Suraj. I think you'll find a home here. Cochin has a great history, and I know some amazing people who hail from there. NY is not so bad either.
Salud~
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.