India Untouched
Anyone out there watched 'India Untouched'? It is must watch as it throws light upon the scourge of Untouchablity in the Indian society.

Just a glimpse of the documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UnVZT0-0k
[+] 2 users Like United_Floyd's post
Yes, I've seen this one. These and many other casteist practices are still very strong. Consider for example, http://www.hindu.com/2010/12/11/stories/...630800.htm

We (and of course, others coming at the problem from different angles) have a long fight ahead of us.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com

This is a Brahmin apologist video.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
(30-Dec-2010, 09:27 PM)Sajit Wrote: This is a Brahmin apologist video.

Ah! The arrogance! "I am a Brahman. So you have the obligation to respect and pay me monies."
[+] 1 user Likes Lije's post
I've seen this first hand, this arrogance. I myself come from a conservative brahman family and its beyond words to describe the pathetic situation. Even the documentary has a brahman who justifies the 'varna system'.

I've purposefully used lower case for 'brahmans' as I think they don't deserve any special status.smile
[+] 1 user Likes United_Floyd's post
I agree with you all. At the heart of this disgusting practice we have in India is a degree of arrogant in-group pride that is most commonly associated with inbred rural White males in the southern United States. This has resulted in one of the most well-orchestrated propaganda campaigns online. To be fair, these feelings of casteist superiority are not limited to the Brahmins.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(31-Dec-2010, 12:45 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: To be fair, these feelings of casteist superiority are not limited to the Brahmins.

That's true. In Hyderabad, events called "Vana bhojanam" (literally means having a feast in the forest. And they used to a few years back. Today they just book a function hall for that) are conducted by different caste groups as a way to show their strength. Then there are also the registered community organizations for various castes where they do things like print books that detail the accomplishments of members of their caste.

[+] 1 user Likes Lije's post
(30-Dec-2010, 09:27 PM)Sajit Wrote: This is a Brahmin apologist video.

Wow, it presents such a biased set of statistics (if at all they are accurate in the first place), and play on such a superiority complex. Pathetic.