Current time: 29-07-2014, 12:08 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Introduction
Shekhar Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Likes Given: 0

Introduction

Hi Everybody,
I am from Coimbatore. Are there fellow rationalists from coimbatore I can get in touch with? Are there programmes being organised in Coimbatore?
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ajita Kamal Offline
Editor

Likes Given: 234

RE: Introduction

(07-05-2011 10:34 AM)Shekhar Wrote:  Hi Everybody,
I am from Coimbatore. Are there fellow rationalists from coimbatore I can get in touch with? Are there programmes being organised in Coimbatore?

Hi Shekhar,

We do not as yet have formal any representation from Coimbatore, but there are a few Nirmukta members who are from there. It would be nice if we can organize a Coimbatore Freethinkers group. Are you on facebook?

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2011 02:37 PM by Ajita Kamal.)
Shekhar Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

(07-05-2011 02:37 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:  
(07-05-2011 10:34 AM)Shekhar Wrote:  Hi Everybody,

Hi Shekhar,

We do not as yet have formal any representation from Coimbatore, but there are a few Nirmukta members who are from there. It would be nice if we can organize a Coimbatore Freethinkers group. Are you on facebook?

Hi Ajita,
Surprised to note Cbe - the land of great Basava Premanand- has no formal representation. I would love to be instrumental in organizing such a group. Though I have been a rationalist all my life I have not joined any group so far. I would like to take now an active part as I have free time on hand.I am not on the face book. Is that an essential requirement? Initially I think I would have to communicate with the like minded in Coimbatore. Suggest me the possible ways of doing this.
Ajita Kamal Offline
Editor

(08-05-2011 07:41 PM)Shekhar Wrote:  Hi Ajita,
Surprised to note Cbe - the land of great Basava Premanand- has no formal representation. I would love to be instrumental in organizing such a group. Though I have been a rationalist all my life I have not joined any group so far. I would like to take now an active part as I have free time on hand.I am not on the face book. Is that an essential requirement? Initially I think I would have to communicate with the like minded in Coimbatore. Suggest me the possible ways of doing this.

Basava Premanand was the first major activist we contacted when planning Nirmukta's launch. He was already in poor health, but fortunately for us prof. Nayak was very active and enthusiastic. (By the way, I did a lot of my schooling in Coimbatore.)

A handful of people from Coimbatore are part of Nirmukta. Its not a requirement that you are on facebook to be part of Nirmukta's communities, but as of now FB is where most of our interactions have been taking place. These forums are a great resource for various reasons, but Nirmukta has grown by harnessing the influence that social media such as facebook have with the middle-classes in India. All our regional groups are represented only on facebook, and for the immediate future facebook is where we do most of our "recruiting" and social networking.

See here for a list of Nirmukta's regional groups: http://nirmukta.com/nirmukta-regional-groups/

Our national level group is here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61...151&ref=ts
and we have an atheism page on FB, as part of our Indian Atheists brand, here: http://www.facebook.com/IndianAtheists
This last one is the fastest growing of our social networks.

If you do decide to join facebook, we can create a Coimbatore Freethinkers group and begin promoting it. If you don't wish to get on facebook (and I completely understand your aversion to it), we may have to wait a bit longer until someone else is willing to work with a Coimbatore group on FB. We can always create a Coimbatore section on the forums, under the Tamil Nadu regional groups section.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 06:09 AM by Ajita Kamal.)
Shekhar Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

It is not due to any aversion to face book that I have not signed up so far.. I have simply not felt the need. I, however, welcome your suggestion for creating a CBE Freethinkers group even if I were the only one in it right now.. I am sure sooner or later a few more will find their way.
To tell a little more about me, I am 63 years of age and in good health. A Chartered Accountant by profession, I developed interest in science recently and have read few books by Carl Sagan, Asimov, Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene and Bill Bryson. I have also dabbled a little in amateur astronomy.But I feel I have a long way to go in my understanding of universe especially quantum physics.
Besides science I have been reading a lot of atheist literature including some books of Richard Dawkins and Bertrand Russel. Though I was born into an orthodox Hindu family I have always (as long as my memory can go back) been an atheist. But it is only recently that I recognized the need for becoming active in promotion of free thinking. Starting a local group is perhaps the best way to begin with.
[+] 2 users Like Shekhar's post
ayogi Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Hi Shehkar, I am from coimbatore too! I would be very interested in joining your group if you decide to create one.
Ajita Kamal Offline
Editor

I forgot to mention, since the last time I posted here a Coimbatore group of Nirmukta has been initated on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=grou...0521799445
There are only 5 members at present, as opposed to the over 100 members on the Chennai, Delhi and Mumbai groups, but I'm sure the group will grow.

(This post was last modified: 22-06-2011 12:00 PM by Ajita Kamal.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ajita Kamal's post
Shekhar Offline
Nirmukt Noobie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Music Introduction prishetty 0 213 25-06-2014 02:02 PM
Last Post: prishetty
  Um hi? ......Introduction posts are always so awkward... Anuj Menon 11 3,846 18-07-2012 11:51 PM
Last Post: nick87
Big Grin A comprehensive introduction Aaq 4 1,500 14-02-2012 07:49 PM
Last Post: Aaq
  INTRODUCTION Priyank Singh Rajput 4 1,566 08-10-2011 07:24 PM
Last Post: LMC
  Introduction nick87 7 2,685 20-06-2011 03:42 PM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Introduction United_Floyd 4 1,804 30-12-2010 10:37 PM
Last Post: United_Floyd

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)