Irish homeopaths in Kolkata
Hi,

Is there anyone in Kolkata who can offer an opinion on the use of homeopathy on street children in the city?

I am from Ireland and I found the following information about a couple of homeopaths going to Kolkata with the support of HOPE, a charity which works with street children:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id...9205759731

From what I can see, HOPE is a fine organisation which does good work but they are seriously undermining their work by supporting this quackery. On their website they mention various types of medical assistance, and point out some of the issues that arise with these communities, including:

Low level of health awareness
Poor drug compliances and low levels of immunization.

I have written to hope (http://www.hopefoundation.ie/) to express my concerns about this, since supporting homeopathy undermines work on both of these. (Apart, of course, from being completely ineffective). Their response was:

Quote:The homeopathic practices of our 2 volunteers will be in support of existing projects and an optional treatment for interested parties rather than a replacement for conventional medicine;
Homeopathy is a widely accepted and popular practice in India;
The homeopathy treatments offered will not be in place of immunisation or conventional drug treatment programmes;
Homeopathy will not be offered as a cheap alternative to or in competition with other treatments;
Any funds raised by our 2 volunteers have been freely given by their supporters who are fully aware that the volunteers will be working in the area of homeopathy. No HOPE or public funds are being appropriated to the volunteers’ homeopathy programme other than those raised by these volunteers specifically for this purpose with the full knowledge and support of their private donors.

I am reassured that the organisation does not seem to be supporting this financially - though this is not entirely clear - but I still feel that this sends entirely the wrong message to people who have need of genuine medicine, not pseudoscientific nonsense.

Would anyone be prepared to contact HOPE and comment on the suggestion that this is acceptable because "Homeopathy is a widely accepted and popular practice in India"?

Hope Kolkata is:

Hope Kolkata Foundation
39 Panditya Place Calcutta
700029 West Bengal, India.
T: +0091 33 24742904
F: +0091 33 24542007
E: info@hopechild.org

The Irish organisation is:

The Hope Foundation
3 Clover Lawn, Skehard Road, Cork, Ireland.
T: +353 21 4292990
F: +353 21 4293432
E: office@hopefoundation.ie

I would be interested to hear opinions about this.

Rodney
Hi rodney welcome to the forums and thanks for informing us about the event
just so you know our own government too is funding homeopathy check out Face Palm
From the link you provide i couldn't make out how hope is involved in this , it was all about irish healing a site that seems to support crystal heeling even oh well.

(03-Jul-2011, 04:00 AM)lalitmohanchawla Wrote: Hi rodney welcome to the forums and thanks for informing us about the event
just so you know our own government too is funding homeopathy check out Face Palm
From the link you provide i couldn't make out how hope is involved in this , it was all about irish healing a site that seems to support crystal heeling even oh well.

Hi,

thanks for replying.

The two homeopaths are going as volunteers to work on HOPE projects. They have funded themselves but they will be working with street children HOPE works with and offering their 'services'. So they are acting under the auspices of the organisation and using its connections and networks.

What bothers me is that by sending homeopaths to India it gives the impression that this approach is supported by Western medical experts, which may undermine the efforts of Indian skeptics to prevent the government from supporting it.

I don't know enough about the issue in India to know what sort of difference this makes, but it might be useful if someone from India were to get in contact with Hope to give a perspective from local skeptics.

Yes, irishhealing is deep into wacky stuff, unfortunately.

Thanks,

Rodney
I agree that this seems to undermine Western medicine and doctors. If these people are going to the same children and telling them that drinking this water or swallowing this sugar pill will relieve their health problems then wouldn't that confuse them when a 'real' doctor tries to vaccinate them with 'real' medicine? I would hope that an organization like them wouldn't associate themselves with unproven medical practices.
Ursula - Has anyone ever used Kareo for billing patients?