Is Divorce Good?
There is a certain paradox that comes to mind regarding divorce.

In conservative societies, women do not have social freedoms at par with men. When relationships go sour, it is often the women who silently suffer at the hands of their spouses. So a society with more divorces on an average is one where women, and hence at least half the society, should be happier because they are free to leave a relationship if they so wish.

However, a society where the incidence of divorce is high cannot be happier on average than one with similar freedom for women and lower rates of divorce because of the obvious emotional upheaval and the impact on children.

I am hence confused whether higher divorce rates are good or bad for the society. At individual levels, of course, it would be case specific. Maybe there is a Normal Curve about this that I don't know of. What is your opinion?

Also, statistically speaking,what would be the dependent variables of a regression on the incidence of divorce?
In my opinion, the concept of divorce is good; but a divorce itself generally is not a good thing.
Except in cases where relationships are very terrible, its usually best to avoid it.

It wrong to have absolute way of thinking in any direction (divorce being good or bad).

Suppose if a society starts to believe that divorce is generally good, then the society starts to encourage divorce; and eventually it starts getting exploited in all ways.
One example is this ad campaign by law firms (http://images.google.com/images?q=life%2...0billboard)

Same thing is applicable in the other direction. If a society starts considering divorce as bad, then everyone will shun divorcees. Divorces will generally be discouraged, and eventually there are chances that one of the spouses will suffer and nothing can be done about it.

I would say that only important thing for a society to aim for is: good education, financial well being, and economic independence of both men and women.

If these factors are in place, divorces will happen only when they are really needed.

My few cents.
[+] 1 user Likes shobhitg's post
(05-May-2010, 08:18 PM)shobhitg Wrote: I would say that only important thing for a society to aim for is: good education, financial well being, and economic independence of both men and women.

If these factors are in place, divorces will happen only when they are really needed.

My few cents.

Well said! My thoughts exactly.
Yes, I also agree with Shobhit's analysis. The most important thing is to strive to create a society that will provide people both the awareness to make educated choices as well as the optimal conditions for them to exercise their choices.

But this is simplifying a complex question. Perhaps someone more 'experienced' in the matter will speak up.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I'm not sure if taking divorce rate itself as a measure of anything good or bad in society is the right thing to do. It could be misleading. It's like taking the number of deaths in a country as a measure of the country's misery without taking into account how those people died. However as soon as you factor in other variables like number of cases of violence against women, or financial independence of women etc, then a picture might start to form.

Other than that I agree with Shobit's comment.
Thanks Shobit, Ajita and especially Bala. A friend and I were wondering if the incidence of divorce can be explained in a socio-economic regression function. The replies have helped. Hope to see more insights here by others though.

Intuition tells me this will fall nicely into a Normal Curve. Hopefully data would be readily available to test it.

Also, the pictures of the ad boards by the law firm were pretty suprising! Thanks again.
(05-May-2010, 08:18 PM)shobhitg Wrote: I would say that only important thing for a society to aim for is: good education, financial well being, and economic independence of both men and women.

My few cents.

Well said. And this the first time I saw that law firm ad campaign !
That's a good question.

As I been living in america from last 6 years, which happened to have 50% divorce rate, i have learnt lot of things..

Divorce is might lead happy for couple but, it defiantly effects kids more, according to american statics, its been found that, people whose parents are divorced had more divorce.. where as india goes, we hardly have any divorce, which is good at least in kids perceptive...

The society which is more social are less likely to be divorce, especially countries like india

In my perceptive, there is nothing like prefect relationship.. its all depends upon working out, In america i have lot of people give up easily.. i can't generalize the statement though.. if a person is cheater or criminal or any extreme cases, divorce is ideal thing to do.

But still it evident that society plays a vital role in divorce rate, its important to maintain healthy society, where relationship should be considered something divine...

The question i ask myself is, what is ideal society?? values of society..

--
Peace
I tend to go with Bala...The number is not always a good indicator. We cannot really compare the west that's more 'individual' centered with the east that prefers a more 'collective' living. Most of us in the Asian region identify ourself as a part of a family, a sect or a tribe and we prefer to be in groups, do groups tasks and are more tolerant to each other. One is definitely not better than the other, but that is how the societies have developed.

What I am concerned about are the reasons behind increasing number of divorces in India. Women are more educated than in the past and are more aware of the rights, but still prefer to go their parents way when they get married. Partners need to understand better before they commit to marry and this will help avoid a lot of problems.
(18-Aug-2010, 09:43 AM)ayyawar Wrote: That's a good question.

As I been living in america from last 6 years, which happened to have 50% divorce rate, i have learnt lot of things..

Divorce is might lead happy for couple but, it defiantly effects kids more, according to american statics, its been found that, people whose parents are divorced had more divorce.. where as india goes, we hardly have any divorce, which is good at least in kids perceptive...

The society which is more social are less likely to be divorce, especially countries like india

In my perceptive, there is nothing like prefect relationship.. its all depends upon working out, In america i have lot of people give up easily.. i can't generalize the statement though.. if a person is cheater or criminal or any extreme cases, divorce is ideal thing to do.

But still it evident that society plays a vital role in divorce rate, its important to maintain healthy society, where relationship should be considered something divine...

The question i ask myself is, what is ideal society?? values of society..

--
Peace

This was discussed this on another thread. You are conflating various aspects. I agree that parents getting divorced can be traumatic for the kids. But your conclusion on why divorce rates could be lower in India is flawed, as Ajita pointed out on the other thread. In India many women stay married in abusive relationships because of social pressures . Personal choices are stifled unlike in western societies. A lower rate of divorce does not indicate healthier marriages or a better society.

I never thought like that!!
(05-May-2010, 10:19 AM)siddharth Wrote: However, a society where the incidence of divorce is high cannot be happier on average than one with similar freedom for women and lower rates of divorce because of the obvious emotional upheaval and the impact on children.
Not really. A child can be brought up in many different ways depending on the way of thinking of the parents.

If the parents were conservatives who believed in so-called family values, which means a man and woman are bound in wedlock for eternity, and had inculcated these into the child, then the child would definitely suffer seeing the contradiction between his parents' words and deeds.

However, if the parents were not conservative and had brought up the child in a secular, rational environment, and had indicated to the child that their relationship was not some kind of eternal bond handed down by some "divine law", but was one of mutual consent, I think the child would not be as affected.

Having said that, human emotions, especially when it comes to relationships, are very complex and vary from person to person. So it is difficult to be certain on this issue, but my examples above are possibly a step in the right direction.