Is Nationalism a valid point of view?
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
– George Bernard Shaw
Archiving the discussion from facebook,

(02-Feb-2012, 11:00 PM)Aamil Syed Wrote: "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
– George Bernard Shaw

i agree fully to your statements even i am of the same thought that fighting for a peice of land is complete insane thing.. no boundaries no blood shed no war but this is possible if all the countries think so... but practically its not possible... then why not support your country at least AS LONG AS INDIA IS NOT COMMITTING ANY KIND OF ATROCITY AGAINST ANY COUNTRY... anyways i have lost a lot of people in the war i dont even know the names they were my country men my brothers i need not have a blood relation with them...
(02-Feb-2012, 11:15 PM)Sumant Satarkar Wrote: i agree fully to your statements even i am of the same thought that fighting for a peice of land is complete insane thing.. no boundaries no blood shed no war but this is possible if all the countries think so... but practically its not possible... then why not support your country at least AS LONG AS INDIA IS NOT COMMITTING ANY KIND OF ATROCITY AGAINST ANY COUNTRY...

There's a non-sequiter in there. How did "I don't like nationalism, but boundaries are needed given the present world situation" lead to the question of "Why not support your country?". How does not supporting nationalism mean not supporting your country when the humanistic position of being against nationalism implies caring for people of which a country is just be a subset.

Here is an essay (http://orwell.ru/library/essays/national...lish/e_nat ) on Nationalism by George Orwell. It has lessons for all who call themselves with all kinds of labels, eg. New atheists, Progressives, Liberals, Conservatives, etc.