Is being fair more attractive?
Personally, I find the whole business quite absurd. Judging people by the amount of melanin their skin produces is ridiculous.

An example:

In Uttarakhand, the Brahmins are dominated by the 'asal'(real) class. The latter are the descendants of brahmins who were originally from areas like Rajasthan,Gujarat,Haryana and Uttar Pradesh( plains of northern and western India).As such, they pride themselves in being from the 'asal'(real or pure) stock of mainstream Brahmanism. It is believed that they sought refuge in the Himalayan valleys in order to escape persecution at the hands of Islamic invaders.
The local Pahari tribes( especially Jaunsaaris of Western Uttarakhand), some of whom are supposedly descended from Central Asian settlers, were traditionally considered 'low' and viewed with suspicion. They have lighter skin,hair and eyes and look more 'Aryan' than the Asal Brahmins. So, as you go 'down' the levels of the locally-contrived caste-system you encounter people with lighter skin-tones. An absurd situation, even by the farcical standards of Brahmanism !
نوشیروان
[+] 1 user Likes Naushirvan's post
This sort of bias based on skin color is not just limited to the Indian subcontinent but in other places too. For example, even in America today, lighter skinned Blacks are viewed to become more successful in public life than their darker skinned counterparts. I read about this in a book. Color bias is a sad reality.
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
This is one aspect of Indian/Asian culture that makes me ashamed of my Indian/Asian roots.

Having grown up in a so called racist white inner city part of London, now living in Sydney (in the country where PIO's are supposedly in danger of being killed according to the Indian press, lol) and having travelled and worked in several countries, I have to say that colour obsession is worse amongst Person's of South Asian origin.

In Africa and Fiji the PIO's segregate themselves from the indegenious Afrcan's/Fijian's and are not liked. In Europe, US, Australia most PIO's are happy to have a white partner but won't even consider a black partner. Also dark skinned PIO's are more likely to face discrimination from light skinned PIO's then from non Asian people in western countries. Asian shops also sell F&L products in western countries.

And don't even get me started on the actual Asian countries, in India you have bleach using celebrities like SRK appearing in adverts telling Indian's that they must look like Europeans to succeed. If these adverts were shown in western countries then there would be lawsuits and SRK would be without a career.
Quote:"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
Homer Simpson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILArKLKUEk
[+] 2 users Like Prahalad's post
Here's every F&L advertisement broken down:

-Young girl who looks slightly 'dark' goes for an interview for a job that generally typecasts 'hot women expected in this job position'. Eg: Air hostess, beauty pageant, secretary in a Fortune 500 type company and so forth.
- The HR panel tells the girl that she doesn't qualify and she comes home crying and buries her head in the bed (cute teddy bear nearby for extra sad effect).
-Dad or concerned relative steps in and gives them some fairness product,
-Cut to scene with traditional herbs and plants falling into a milk like substance and Fairness Product emerging from the other side. Girl's face is shown going from Brown ("No interview for you!") to Fair(" Wow, Hottttt!, When can you join?") in just X days/weeks.
- Girl manages to score the same interview with the same interviewer who now marvels at her 'beauty' unashamedly.
Girl returns home ecstatic with appointment letter.

Subtle variations:
- Guys on bicycles ram face first into telephone poles distracted by her beauty. Or fall off bicycles.
Beauty contest winner receiving bouquet.

-------EDIT--------
Here's an article on the Huffington Post about an Indian brightening cream for women's nether regions. Here's the link, but it's probably NSFW (Not Safe to View at the Workplace)
"It's alright, I rarely meet anyone who's able to read it properly. Although personally, I never thought that it to be an odd of a name. Once I give people the pronunciation, they tend to remember my name by easily associating me with it. A unique face, a unique moniker."
[+] 2 users Like nick87's post
Lolhahahahaaha! you hit the nail on the head! Quite an in-depth analysis.
A group of guys from Pakistan,under the channel name 'Nakedtyrant' , had uploaded a Youtube video parodying the fair-and-lovely fad.

نوشیروان
[+] 1 user Likes Naushirvan's post
Cheers, Naushrivan. I didn't do that post for the lulz. It was to highlight how shallow the companies selling this are and what they think of the target audience.
That is "if you are fair skinned, people adore you, shower you with love and attention and you climb the corporate ladder. Why take being Black lying down? Spend a little money in yourself and your self-interest and get fair."

I had one racist Censored ex-friend who made the generalization that all South Indians are ugly and black.When someone makes such a stereotypical generalization and openly links dark skin with ugliness and disgust, won't the insulted person feel like if they became fair, they would be treated better? I'd like to think that companies use this sort of pre-existing hurt and try to nurse it with their products.
Hey guys, are you familiar with the "hire a white face" phenomenon? (TL;DR: Asian companies hire white people for the sole purpose of looking "trustworthy").

(08-Jun-2012, 09:18 PM)nick87 Wrote: I had one racist Censored ex-friend who made the generalization that all South Indians are ugly and black....

You're lucky that you only had one so far. I lost bunch of my friends because of shit like that. That might be due to I live in predominately Punjabi community, and not to generalise, most of us are fucking racist and believe we're next to a German.
"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
Yes, I am aware of Rent a White Guy Syndrome. I read an article on it in The Atlantic Monthly sometime in 2010.. Here's an article if anyone is interested.

So fair skin determines societal status, trust and power in Asiatic countries? Weirrrrrd.
This makes me glad that I turned down expat jobs in India and Hong Kong. It's bad enough my wife who is Tamil being approaced by sales people selling F&L products in the malls, but to have these adverts constantly on TV is just plain degrading.

Worse thing is the Indian press has tried to paint all of Australia as a racist society but is silent over this.

Even funnier I have been accused of being an ABCI because of my stance on this issue.
Quote:"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
Homer Simpson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILArKLKUEk