Is there a fallacy in this?
Here's a quote from one of the rescued Chilean miners today:

"I have been with God and with the Devil. I seized the hand of God, it was the best hand. I always knew God would get us out of there".

Also, here is an article about rival churches claiming credit for the rescue.

Is there a fallacy here? I can see that it's fallacious reasoning - the rescue has been successful, so they are saying God did it. If the rescue hadn't worked out, they'd be keeping quiet. But is there a "proper" logical fallacy here - i.e. can we give it a name?
[+] 2 users Like unsorted's post
I can see at least 3 fallacies:
1. Cherry-picking of anecdotal evidence.
2. Post-hoc ergo propter hoc, confusing between causation and correlation, leading the claimants to conclude that the miners were rescued because of their prayers.
3. The sharpshooter fallacy, also known as the Texas sharpshooter fallacy, where you simply draw the bullseye around the entry hole after firing the shot. Whatever happens, god can be worked into the equation. God gets credit for taking the miners into his kingdom in heaven if they die, and for saving their lives if they live.

The cherry-picking here is a form of inductive fallacy. This is interesting because scientific logic involves a significant amount of inductive reasoning. This is why scientific results have degrees of confidence. In a proper case of inductive reasoning, multiple tests (cases) of the same problem must demonstrate that the correlation is not merely caused by chance. Here they conclude that prayers worked because of one case where the miners were rescued, forgetting about all the dead miners for whom also there were many prayers uttered.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 4 users Like Ajita Kamal's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fallacy: Appeal to Authority mohankarthik 6 5,883 28-Oct-2015, 10:46 AM
Last Post: THAPLIYAL.SHASHI
  What fallacy/ies do you think apply to this sentence by Chopra? Ajita Kamal 6 6,380 19-Sep-2011, 09:32 PM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  the "we've been wrong before" fallacy Xi Shu 2 3,105 01-Jul-2011, 02:54 AM
Last Post: LMC
  Fallacy Hunting, Episode 4 - Science in the Quran Ajita Kamal 11 9,541 22-Jun-2011, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Spot The Logical Fallacy: Cell phone radiation dangers Ajita Kamal 10 8,938 30-Sep-2010, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Sajit
  Another logically incoherent comment for us to practice our fallacy detection skills Ajita Kamal 2 3,540 27-Jul-2010, 11:30 PM
Last Post: siddharth