Julia Roberts converts to Hinduism!
Julia Roberts goes to temple with her husband and three kids.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/enter...264705.cms
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/...Hindu.html

This is probably food for complacent, pride-filled Hindus to talk about how cool their religion is.

One is tempted to ask, which caste's ranks did she join.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
facepalm.

Isnt it sad that society elevates primarily entertainers (film actors, singers, sportspeople) to the position of celebrities, and then celebrates them as role models for young people?
Granted.. humans seek happiness much of their waking time.. and entertainment is one of the (short-lived) paths.. but this obsession with entertainer-celebrities is dumbing down the world. How I wish this focus on entertainment be diminished, and focus on infotainment be increased..
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
WTF does a "practicing Hindu" mean? Someone who bathes in and drinks Gau Mutra? This sort of stuff really annoys me, because it is the ignorance of these well-off celebrities who endorse entire religious ideologies, based on their selective viewing of exotic culture, that allows the religion to continue the perpetuation of suffering on the "lower" classes, consisting of India's hundreds of millions of poor.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
While on the subject of celebrities dabbling with religion in public, did you hear about Chiranjeevi's lecture on the atma within? It seems he could also see Hanuman right in front of him..

Any chiranjeevi fans out here? Who's volunteering to go have a talk with him?

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/hyderabad...anuman-419

Quote:Tirupati, July 24: The Praja Rajyam chief, Mr K. Chiranjeevi, on Saturday surprised many by speaking to students of the Sri Padmavathi Mahila University as an exponent of Vedanta rather than as a politician or a film actor.
It was on the identity of the individual soul and God that the Tirupati MLA held forth, citing instances from his own life.
The Vedanti in Mr Chiranjeevi was revealed when he asked the girl students to start conversing with their antaratma (inner self).
“I am an ardent devotee of Lord Hanuman,” said Chiranjeevi.
“In my childhood I used to talk to him. As I grew up, I started sharing my joys and sufferings with him. I could see him right in front of me. But I soon realised that the Lord I conversed with was actually the self within, the antaratma.”
Mr Chiranjeevi added that his understanding of the antaratma grew into finer levels after he started reading certain spiritual texts.
“You also start conversing with your antaratma,” he told the attentive girls. “Set your goals and get guided by it. It will never fail you.”
However, Mr Chiranjeevi said that he had no plans to write a book on his spiritual insights. “I just want to share my views with you,” he said.
The Praja Rajyam president, who inaugurated a hostel block built on the campus, also called on the girl students to utilise the reservation for women to succeed on the social, economical and political fronts.
As soon as the speech ended, the girls mobbed him for autographs. And their wide-eyed look made it evident that it was the film star they were after and not the philosopher.

This newspaper also carried a series of articles by celebrities called God and I over the last 1-2 years. I used to post some comments debunking their typical Watchmaker argument, but the moderation was very severe. Slightest hint of irreverance, and cut.. no posting of comment. no URLs allowed. no nothing. I let go after a short while.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
Apparently Julia Roberts is smitten by "Neem Karoli Baba". For those who don't know who NKB is, he was the top guru of the 60s and 70s during the psychedelic era to whom the hippies rushed to. He's been dead for a while now, however his No.1 devotee, Ram Dass a.k.a Richard Alpert has been the chief "propagator" for a long time. It's worthwhile to note that Richard Alpert is a close buddy of Timothy Leary of "Tune in Turn on Drop Out" fame. Both were kicked out of Harvard for experimenting with psilocybin and LSD. I'm assuming that Julia Roberts probably went to a yoga camp of Ram Dass (who happens to live in a Hawaii villa by the way) to research for the film and subsequently bought into the mystique.
(07-Aug-2010, 01:03 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: WTF does a "practicing Hindu" mean? Someone who bathes in and drinks Gau Mutra?
Lol
That was insightful, Bala. The only positive thing is that they tried LSD and psilocybin! I want to do those...
+1 natselrox. I want to, too!
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Is it actually possible to convert to Hinduism? As per my knowledge ( a bit little although), there is no way to convert, no mantras, no ritual for conversion. Hinduism does not advocate conversion. Can anyone define when to call a person as Hindu? Is it because the Hindu is not an Hindu unless he/she belongs to certain caste? In the history how once Buddhist India was converted to Hindu is still a mystery to me. Or this term "Hindu" has very recent origin and Hindu is not a religion. Can anyone please justify the title of this thread? "Julia Roberts converts to Hindu" Thinking
Indians today are governed by two different ideologies. Their political ideal set in the preamble of the Constitution affirms a life of liberty, equality and fraternity. Their social ideal embodied in their religion denies them. - Ambedkar
(03-Nov-2011, 02:46 PM)nispat Wrote: Can anyone define when to call a person as Hindu?

It does appear that they just need to believe that they are Hindu and they become Hindus.

Quote:Is it because the Hindu is not an Hindu unless he/she belongs to certain caste? In the history how once Buddhist India was converted to Hindu is still a mystery to me. Or this term "Hindu" has very recent origin and Hindu is not a religion. Can anyone please justify the title of this thread? "Julia Roberts converts to Hindu" Thinking

Hinduism is a recent religion. These two articles present some arguments for it:
http://nirmukta.com/2009/05/11/hinduism-...y-of-life/
http://nirmukta.com/2009/11/28/is-hindu-...n-culture/

There is also a thread to cite academic references to show that Hinduism is a modern religion.