Law Of Karma?
I am trying to read about challenging so called Law of Karma. Since childhood we are told how is some body born in a rich or poor family or for childhood cancer ,blindness etc is all because of Karma? It makes sense on superficial level.
But at deeper level it does not so what/where do freethinkers say ? I did read various articles in NIRMUKTA.
(08-Nov-2011, 03:56 AM)Rajiv Parti MD Wrote: I am trying to read about challenging so called Law of Karma. Since childhood we are told how is some body born in a rich or poor family or for childhood cancer ,blindness etc is all because of Karma? It makes sense on superficial level.
But at deeper level it does not so what/where do freethinkers say ? I did read various articles in NIRMUKTA.

According this article by Dr. Kamath, karma is a concept devised by Brahmanism to 'create helplessness and repress resistance to its doctrines'. The insidious and detrimental impact of these concepts on Indian society over the centuries, is explained in this later article in the same series.
Quote:Over a hundred generations, Brahmins brainwashed people into believing that they were totally helpless in the face of the Gunas of Prakriti and Law of Karma, which were the foundation of Varna Dharma. Everyone must accept his class and destiny, which one is powerless to change.
This role of karma in devious social engineering is also explored in this article. This forum post outlines several objections of freethinkers to karma and related doctrines..

(08-Nov-2011, 03:56 AM)Rajiv Parti MD Wrote: I am trying to read about challenging so called Law of Karma. Since childhood we are told how is some body born in a rich or poor family or for childhood cancer ,blindness etc is all because of Karma? It makes sense on superficial level.

All the best disproving an unfalsifiable theory.

It makes sense because it panders to a cognitive bias - belief in a just world.

For a simple answer to your question, please go to "www.skepdic.com/karma.html"
[+] 1 user Likes Prof.V.N.K.Kumar's post
(08-Nov-2011, 08:39 AM)arvindiyer Wrote: According this article by Dr. Kamath, karma is a concept devised by Brahmanism to 'create helplessness and repress resistance to its doctrines'.

Hmm...what is this Brahmanism you are talking about? Also, if Karma was exclusively made by Brahmins to subjugate non-Brahmins (which is what I guess you mean by "Brahmanism"), why was the idea picked up by Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs?

Also, there is the concept of Karma/Reincarnation amongst some form of Jews/Muslims also.

Perhaps you may want to reconsider your position that Karma/Reincarnation is a "Brahmin" invention.
(26-Jun-2012, 06:45 PM)KalBhairav Wrote: Hmm...what is this Brahmanism you are talking about? Also, if Karma was exclusively made by Brahmins to subjugate non-Brahmins (which is what I guess you mean by "Brahmanism"), why was the idea picked up by Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs?

You are a religious apologist on a forum not meant for religious apologists. So it behooves you to spend sometime learning how some words you aren't familiar with are used here. Otherwise you will keep derailing topics, something which isn't encouraged here. Quoting from elsewhere:

Quote:- There is an important disambiguation regarding the word 'Brahmin' which often ends up getting used in two very different senses: (i) to refer to people having what was once called Brahminical ancestry (which is something accidental and one has no choice whatsoever in) and (ii) to refer to 'Brahmanical loyalists', to borrow Dr. Prabhakar Kamath's phrase, who are sworn adherents to the dogma of Brahminism (which is something quite voluntary and something someone can very justifiably held accountable for.). While making a clean break from the loyalist establishment, irrespective of what one's supposed ancestry maybe, there are several ways of making a statement.
There is yet another meaning for "Brahmanism" - please refer carefully to the quote I posted in #6. "Brahman"ism is sometimes used to refer to all 6 astika darshanas because these darshanas believe in "Brahman" as opposed to Buddhist/Jain thought.

In any case, you have not addressed the issue I have put forth...If reincarnation/karma was a "Brahmin" invention to "create helplessness and repress resistance", why did Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism end up borrowing the idea?
(26-Jun-2012, 11:16 PM)KalBhairav Wrote: In any case, you have not addressed the issue I have put forth...If reincarnation/karma was a "Brahmin" invention to "create helplessness and repress resistance", why did Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism end up borrowing the idea?

It wasn't addressed because it is off-topic. Please stick to the topic of a thread. Not every discussion is a venue to exhibit your debating skills.

[+] 2 users Like Lije's post