Man from Earth
EDIT: If you haven't seen this film, don't read the whole wikipedia page, as it will only spoil the film for you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Earth

This is one of my favourite atheistic films.

It's also rated pretty high on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Have any of you seen it? If you haven't I highly recommend it! It is available on P2P networks and this kind of distribution is supported by its producer.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Thanks! I'm always on the lookout for good thought-inspiring movies. I've downloaded The Man From Earth and am all set to watch when I have some free time. Will let you know what I think. Big Grin
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I was blown away when I first saw that movie. It is a must see!
Watched it, and it was awesome! Thumbup

I know this is not the main point of the movie, but did anyone else get the idea that the guests were not really trying hard enough to confirm his story? In fact, one guest explicitly states that it is impossible to prove, which serves the story well, but is definitely an irrational extrapolation of his inability to figure out a way to prove the story. I think that, given time and resources, the claim that someone has lived 14,000 years can definitely be tested and proved/disproved.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
Saw it back when it was released, and fell in love with it before I'd seen it even half-way through. Not just the substance, the direction and acting's been enjoyable too.

(06-Jul-2010, 11:44 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: I know this is not the main point of the movie, but did anyone else get the idea that the guests were not really trying hard enough to confirm his story? In fact, one guest explicitly states that it is impossible to prove, which serves the story well, but is definitely an irrational extrapolation of his inability to figure out a way to prove the story. I think that, given time and resources, the claim that someone has lived 14,000 years can definitely be tested and proved/disproved.

It can be proved/disproved, and that's why Harry, the biologist, asks John to "suffer a few tests at the hands of your neighbourhood biologist." The guest explicitly stating was probably the anthropologist guy, right? I suppose he was trying to say there is no way they can prove/disprove it in a layman fashion there, in that room. They would need a laboratory and "a dozen cigarette smoking men" for that. He also suggested, that John "lived outside of time as we know it" so I suppose he was being irrational right from the start and looking in directions that audiences like us could ignore.

One definitely would expect someone to say something like that, in that setting. So I think it did stay true to the "aam aadmi."
It is one of my all time favorites!
How intellectually laggard is Indian film industry to make a movie like that??
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan