Namaste
Namaste Everyone,

You know how just about every anti-Hindu forum ends up attracting a few "Internet Hindus" who come to "defend their faith"?
I've signed up to do just that (and engage in some honest, respectful debate, of course Biggrin).
Welcome! Thank you for spelling out your intentions! We hope to agree or agree to disagree with you with mutual respect and honesty, and have thought provoking dialogue with you.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
@TTCUSM:

Namaste, and welcome! :)

Two points:

1. Could you please lead me to some other "anti-Hindu" forums? I'm unaware of any other, so it would be of help. If you are referring to blogs, then you needn't share any links for I am aware of most.

2. Nirmukta is not really "anti-Hindu". It is anti anything that is regressive in practice. This includes how Hinduism is played out in reality, and certain aspects of Hindu literature. However, this isn't restricted to Hinduism, and we use similar reasoning to speak out against other regressive orders such as Christianity, Islam, political hypernationalism, etc. We also speak out against unscientific practices such as homeopathy, and against superstition.

Since you have mentioned at the outset that you wish to defend Hinduism, I would like to share the following excerpt from a larger comment of mine:

Quote:...when people often debate about Hinduism, they end up arguing on two different planes. There are those (including me) who give a lot of importance to how the religion has manifested itself in reality and claim that this is the true face of the religion. And then there are those, who seem to ignore the realities, who claim that Hinduism is a collection of diverse philosophies and tradition...

I reject the label 'Hindu' (primarily) because of what Hinduism is in reality.

I strongly believe that Hinduism (and Christianity and especially Islam) as seen being played out in society, is this way because of its inherent nature.

Anyway, have fun, and be open minded to what some of us might say (just as we will appreciate any valid point that you make).

Cheers! :)
(14-Jul-2010, 12:13 PM)siddharth Wrote: Since you have mentioned at the outset that you wish to defend Hinduism, I would like to share the following excerpt from a larger comment of mine:

Quote:...when people often debate about Hinduism, they end up arguing on two different planes. There are those (including me) who give a lot of importance to how the religion has manifested itself in reality and claim that this is the true face of the religion. And then there are those, who seem to ignore the realities, who claim that Hinduism is a collection of diverse philosophies and tradition...

I reject the label 'Hindu' (primarily) because of what Hinduism is in reality.

I strongly believe that Hinduism (and Christianity and especially Islam) as seen being played out in society, is this way because of its inherent nature.

Thanks for the advice, Siddharth. Oh, and I promise not to use the "no true Scotsman" fallacy too often.
(13-Jul-2010, 04:45 AM)TTCUSM Wrote: Namaste Everyone,

You know how just about every anti-Hindu forum ends up attracting a few "Internet Hindus" who come to "defend their faith"?
I've signed up to do just that (and engage in some honest, respectful debate, of course Biggrin).

Hello!

The "Nirmukta Forum" logo clearly states "promoting Science and Free thought in India". Why would anyone assume that this is an anti-Hindu forum! Huh

Hi, Welcome aboard and thanks for being upfront about yourself smile
Nirmukta promotes rational thinking based on reason, why would it be exclusively anti hindu? Nirmukta is anti false beliefs and the hindu faith has plenty of false beliefs too. And Btw we are not anti people of any religion but critical of their religious ideas and practices.
(15-Jul-2010, 09:33 AM)Swati Wrote:

Hello!

The "Nirmukta Forum" logo clearly states "promoting Science and Free thought in India". Why would anyone assume that this is an anti-Hindu forum! Huh

Because ultimately science and freethought are enemies of religions.
I don't go around saying 'Woe to Hindus' but if I persuade someone to reject Vedas, karma and Brahman as real that means he is no longer a follower of sanatana dharma.

(02-Sep-2010, 07:30 PM)nastikashiromani Wrote: Because ultimately science and freethought are enemies of religions.

Well said! Religion promotes pseudoscience and religion trains people's minds to think in certain restrictive ways.

(02-Sep-2010, 07:30 PM)nastikashiromani Wrote:

Hello!

I don't go around saying 'Woe to Hindus' but if I persuade someone to reject Vedas, karma and Brahman as real that means he is no longer a follower of sanatana dharma.

@ nastikashiromani
You're saying it yourself - "religions" - that's the key word.
"Vedas, karma and Brahman" - that would encompass a really small percentage of people within the fold as "Hindus".
(03-Sep-2010, 06:02 PM)Swati Wrote:
(02-Sep-2010, 07:30 PM)nastikashiromani Wrote:

Hello!

@ nastikashiromani
You're saying it yourself - "religions" - that's the key word.
"Vedas, karma and Brahman" - that would encompass a really small percentage of people within the fold as "Hindus".

Loosely speaking, Vedas are held to be sacred by Hindus (even if other sacred texts trump them in case of specific sampradayas) and karma is accepted by even Jainas and Buddhists. Brahman is a kind of shorthand for whatever God/s or Consciousness one can come up with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pranam/namaste/hello to all the respected members ankursaxena_321@yahoo.co.in 0 1,780 22-Mar-2013, 06:59 PM
Last Post: ankursaxena_321@yahoo.co.in