Nirmukta Editors Thread- Help Us Make Nirmukta Better
Nirmukta editors are all official Coordinators of Nirmukta. A couple of us are also Admins of various Nirmukta groups/websites, although there are Admins who are not editors. Here are some of the things the editors do:

1. Coordinate with all the site/group Admins to keep things running smoothly.
2. Editing the content of the articles presented for submission, if editing is needed.
3. Editing the form of the articles presented for submission. Formating is always needed.
4. Preparing for publication (additional formating, image additions/captions etc, hyperlinks of essential parts, adding tags, content summary and specific web tools) .
5. Following up on edited articles, making updates and moderating comments.

The editors of Nirmukta.com are not paid to do what we do. One consequence of this is that there is little incentive to keep the energy high enough for it to invite a large quantity of excellent articles for publication. What we need is a thread to discuss issues related to editing Nirmukta. I'd like to start this thread by initiating a conversation on a system to categorize the different types of editing work and the different editing roles that people could volunteer for. I'd also like to put forth the suggestion that an incentive, giving credit to the editor for example, might just be what our system needs.

This thread is open to all. Please let us know what your thoughts are on this. Also, this thread is open to all ideas, suggestions and requests regarding editing Nirmukta's sites and groupsExclamation

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
I've been playing with the idea of using Virtual World programs to hold our conferences. The idea is to create comfortable online virtual environments where we can interact in a 3d location using voice chat as well as type. The websites offering these services and clients have been on the market for a while now, starting with Second Life and its spin-offs, but recently an open-source option became available.

http://www.opencobalt.org/home

This option was built by Duke university scientists specifically with educators in mind. It does not use server space, and works locally. It is also extremely customizable. Here's an article on virtual world software in general, and the development of Open Cobalt. I'd love to hear from anyone who is willing to install and try out this virtual environment client.
(07-Dec-2010, 12:02 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: This option was built by Duke university scientists specifically with educators in mind. It does not use server space, and works locally. It is also extremely customizable. Here's an article on virtual world software in general, and the development of Open Cobalt. I'd love to hear from anyone who is willing to install and try out this virtual environment client.

I downloaded it, but couldn't get it to work. Maybe messing around in google for a while would get it working. The software is still in alpha state, so I guess problems are expected.

Skype also allows desktop sharing (works in Linux too), so IMO that is a good enough tool for collaborative work.
(13-Dec-2010, 10:47 PM)Lije Wrote: Skype also allows desktop sharing (works in Linux too), so IMO that is a good enough tool for collaborative work.

According to reports that I've read (I haven't looked into the citations personally), virtual environments create more than just a platform for verbal and visual communication on the conscious level. Something about seeing yourself (and the more expensive ones can be customized to resemble you) in a 3d virtual environment, makes you feel comfortable interacting with other people the same way you would in the real world.
(03-Dec-2010, 12:01 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: I'd also like to put forth the suggestion that an incentive, giving credit to the editor for example, might just be what our system needs.

[...replying to myself Laugh ]
Starting with this article: http://nirmukta.com/2010/12/26/a-twice-born-atheist/
I think there is nothing better than an irc for a serious discussion but if you want to try fun 3D virtual worlds and i don't know if you have found one or have dropped the idea since last post but try this http://www.gamevial.com/fullscreen.php?g...=shockwave , simple move around in a 3D park as a witch or robot search other person(the hard part) press tab to chat , it is mostly vacant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is 'Nirmukta' called so? Rathnawhale 1 1,509 26-Oct-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Kanad Kanhere
  Nirmukta Virtual Conference - 2011 Ajita Kamal 8 5,773 03-May-2011, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal