Novice
[fon‌t=Times New Roman]
Hello,
My name is Dhananjay Dayanandan, and i live in mumbai(thane distt suburbs). I am an engineering student. Glad to discover a freethought group of such capacity.
I am irreligious, or i shall put it this way; agnost with instinctive inclination towards atheism.
I think in order to question the radical religious doctrines, superstitions, and dogma, one should understand theism first. I an novice when it comes to theology and i hope to harness as much knowledge in favour of freethought.
Regards.
"The crime called blasphemy was invented by priests for the purpose of defending doctrines not able to take care of themselves."_ Robert Green Ingersoll.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoFace's post
Welcome to the forum Dhananjay smile i can see you are already connected with mumbai freethinker group on facebook, hope you'll find the forum a useful platform for discussion besides facebook , you can quote,edit your posts and contribute to a set of well organised and categorized discussion threads archived for eternity Biggrin
[+] 2 users Like LMC's post
Hi Dhananjay, welcome to the group smile

Quote:"I think in order to question the radical religious doctrines, superstitions, and dogma, one should understand theism first."

If it comes to dialectics and arguing about the merits of individual theological ideas, yes you are correct. It would be necessary to know the religion. But I think there are many aspects of religion that can be criticized on objective scientific grounds, and these need not require theological study but rather need scientific study. As an analogy, to criticize why astrology is nonsense one need not know how to do the complex calculations that are all founded on false premises. One just needs to point out the scientific evidence for the premises being wrong.

This can apply to much of criticism of Dawkins' ideas, for example. P.Z. Myers coined a phrase 'The Courtier's Reply', as part of a pat-response he devised to address criticism of Dawkins. He uses the story of the emperor with no clothes as the analogy, and points out that one need not know everything about the many types of cloth and tailoring to see that the emperor is indeed nude Ohmy

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/..._reply.php

Anyway, welcome to the group, and we look forward to participating in discussion with you!

"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 1 user Likes Ajita Kamal's post
Thank you for acknowledging.
I agree upon your thoughts that thorough knowledge of theological texts isn't imperative to rationalist confuting of theism.
Abiding by d fact that i am no expert to challenge P. Z. Meyer's views, i add the truth pertaining to all human beliefs; "The eyes catch everything, but the mind sees what it chooses to see!"
"The crime called blasphemy was invented by priests for the purpose of defending doctrines not able to take care of themselves."_ Robert Green Ingersoll.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoFace's post
(06-Jun-2011, 06:25 PM)TwoFace Wrote: "The eyes catch everything, but the mind sees what it chooses to see!"

This interesting video shows how it's not enough to point our eyes in the right direction, but we need to point our brains as well!

Note: Please don't read the comment trail before you have watched the video.

[+] 1 user Likes arvindiyer's post
Well, our brain foxes us in many inexplicable ways!
Psychology apart,.. by that quote, i implied the tendency of humans to buy into a faith/opinion (thereby undermining human ingenuity) due to a particular school of thought we know by the name; religion!