Poll: Is it a good idea to organize a public debate on freethought?
This poll is closed.
Yes, and I would like to help organize.
75.00%
9 75.00%
No, let's do something else instead.
0%
0 0%
Yes, but I cannot help organize it
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Organizing a Debate in Bangalore
A topic- making technical education more practical.
It is great knowing about the meeting that took place and the ideas that were put forward. In fact, Nirmukta has its own channel on YouTube and the video could be produced and edited to become a part of a series of such discussions. An audio version can be uploaded as material for internet radio or podcasts.

Good initiative. I am not in Bangalore, but will help in networking for the event from where I am.
(08-May-2010, 05:34 PM)dnvarun Wrote: A topic- making technical education more practical.

Varun, the topics should NOT be generic in nature.
Some topics that could be discussed are:
1. Ayurveda and Homeopathy
2. God men
3. Astrology, Palmistry, Numerology
4. Vasthu, Feng Shui
5. Separation of religion and state (India has different laws for different religions, affirmative action based on religion)
(08-May-2010, 07:59 PM)Lije Wrote: Some topics that could be discussed are:
1. Ayurveda and Homeopathy
2. God men
3. Astrology, Palmistry, Numerology
4. Vasthu, Feng Shui
5. Separation of religion and state (India has different laws for different religions, affirmative action based on religion)

My suggestion would be:

6. A rationalist view of relationship between Morality & religion
My suggestions for the debate topics -

1) Science & its importance in society
2) Contribution of Science to the development of modern society
3) Dialectic Materialism
4) The roots of Irrationalist thoughts
Fantastic topics above... Just a few additions to the ever growing list of ideas:
  • Psychology behind Blind beliefs
  • Humanism vs. Religion in School education
  • Getting religions out of the Indian laws too
(04-May-2010, 08:49 AM)uglyhunk Wrote: 4. Probably Mithun can helps us record the all this debate. He always talks about photogrpahy :-)

Hey Raj,
I'm a photographer indeed (as you can see in the link in my signature below), but not really a videographer! I can only 'record' an event in Still (Mute) snaps Wink
Mithun,

I actually had you in mind when thinking about recording. But anyway, we still need mute snaps :-)

And guys, thank you all for the response. Please keep the new ideas coming. Will update you all on the next course of action very soon.

Cheers
Thumbup
(16-May-2010, 08:42 AM)uglyhunk Wrote: Mithun,

I actually had you in mind when thinking about recording. But anyway, we still need mute snaps :-)
Cheers
Thumbup
Ha Ha ofcourse! Cool
Any updates on this so far?
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan
If this event is dangling without progress because of lack of hands to help out, I can pitch in. Please discuss what is going on.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Organizing Yukti Essay competition anilg 3 4,155 18-May-2011, 12:26 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
Thumbs Up Organizing a workshop by Prof Narendra Nayak for professionals in Bangalore PankajKulkarni 3 3,927 07-Jan-2011, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Lije