Poll: Is it a good idea to organize a public debate on freethought?
This poll is closed.
Yes, and I would like to help organize.
75.00%
9 75.00%
No, let's do something else instead.
0%
0 0%
Yes, but I cannot help organize it
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Organizing a Debate in Bangalore
(20-Jun-2010, 10:57 PM)donatello Wrote: If this event is dangling without progress because of lack of hands to help out, I can pitch in. Please discuss what is going on.

Hi Donatello,

Thanks for the support. We met yesterday to discuss operational specifics, will share the details here in couple of days to refine it further.

Cheers

Hi Donatello,

Thanks for the support. We met yesterday to discuss operational specifics, will share the details here in couple of days to refine it further.

@Uglyhunk: I am from Bangalore too and if you need more help and support, I am more than willing to chip in. But I do understand if only a few people are needed to chalk out preliminary plans.
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan
(21-Jun-2010, 01:34 PM)murthymail Wrote:
Hi Donatello,

@Uglyhunk: I am from Bangalore too and if you need more help and support, I am more than willing to chip in. But I do understand if only a few people are needed to chalk out preliminary plans.

We are in need of volunteers actually. Good to see the support coming. As I said, will share more details in coming days.

Cheers
Hi, I personally feel that debate will not have that much effect on public. Even after a debate a theist may remain as a theist and a free thinker as the same. Those who are on the border may support for both. Also arguments based on science, I fear, may bring disrespect for science itself among the theists in the audience. This is purely based on my personal experience after discussing with my theist relatives, they say "your" science is nothing before God. I also fear if they will say the same thing to their kids.
In my opinion, enhancing the knowledge of science among the public, among the kids would automatically make them think about superstitious beliefs and religion itself rather than directly arguing with them the existence of God. That too it would be more effective if it is made in vernacular languages, with science based articles in local magazines, some TV shows, especially fascinating topics like astronomy, evolution, animal behavior, cell biology etc. My first preference would be to enhance the knowledge of science in an effective manner, the debate on the existence of God comes next!
(06-Jul-2010, 10:34 PM)vijay Wrote: Hi, I personally feel that debate will not have that much effect on public. Even after a debate a theist may remain as a theist and a free thinker as the same. Those who are on the border may support for both. Also arguments based on science, I fear, may bring disrespect for science itself among the theists in the audience. This is purely based on my personal experience after discussing with my theist relatives, they say "your" science is nothing before God. I also fear if they will say the same thing to their kids.

True, that this is the usual reaction. The main problem, is the lack of accessible discussion and dissemination of ideas. A vast majority of people are closed from free-thinking ideas. Such initiatives to hold discussions, and talks in a public forum will help to right the imbalance of ideas that people are exposed to. People on the border may join the free-thinking ways, and help increase the impact and occurrence of such events. The potential in making our voices heard in such creative and accessible ways cannot be underestimated.

Quote:In my opinion, enhancing the knowledge of science among the public, among the kids would automatically make them think about superstitious beliefs and religion itself rather than directly arguing with them the existence of God. That too it would be more effective if it is made in vernacular languages, with science based articles in local magazines, some TV shows, especially fascinating topics like astronomy, evolution, animal behavior, cell biology etc. My first preference would be to enhance the knowledge of science in an effective manner, the debate on the existence of God comes next!

It certainly makes sense to spread the knowledge from science effectively, and there are various efforts to do so. However, there are few attempts that confront religious thinking (which is the core thing that we would like to address, IMO), and events like these will help right that. Let's try it and see how it works out. The more diverse, the ideas that are heard, all the better for society!
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Hi

I was introduced to the forum by donatello! And i've been a reader so far, not having posted. But I'm from bangalore too. And i'll watch for the updates and pitch in when I can!

Hope this event happens and happens in a productive way!

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Organizing Yukti Essay competition anilg 3 4,549 18-May-2011, 12:26 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
Thumbs Up Organizing a workshop by Prof Narendra Nayak for professionals in Bangalore PankajKulkarni 3 4,464 07-Jan-2011, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Lije