Pale Blue Dot: Initiating New Members
Hello New Member!

If you are like most of us, you have probably lived most of your life surrounded by superstition. Congratulations on making it here. As an initiation into the community, we request all new members to watch a clip from Carl Sagan's Cosmos. The choice to watch or not is entirely yours, and of course there is a good chance that you have already seen this particular clip. This is just a fun little reminder of why we are all here together, celebrating freethinking and building a religion-free society. Exclamation

After watching the clip, please leave a comment below as a response, telling us about your vision for the future and what a freethinking society means to you. Please leave one comment only. This is not a regular thread. If you want to add to your comment, you can edit it, but if you want to have a conversation with someone, please use the regular threads in this forum.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 4 users Like Ajita Kamal's post
The sheer vastness of the Universe is mind-boggling.
I wish that i will see space colonies in my lifetime, but i know that is highly unlikely. That is the way our species will guaranteed its immortality and to live and leave a legacy forever.
|God is Dead|
Our planet is just a speck of sand in the grand scheme of the staggeringly beautiful universe..(or multiverses).
The riddle of our own existence in this vastness is too surprising ..religion spoils the quest for knowledge ,closes people mind
from under standing and from cherishing the beauty of existence ...

...we need a free thinking society genuinely interested in exploring the truth regardless of their personal emotional intuitions and free from religious text books (books written over two thousands years ago by people who knew less about the planet (let alone a universe they never knew existed) than the basic high school child does by the time they leave school.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ramkumar's post
Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes:

[Image: RG1lE.jpg]

[Image: TZrV2.jpg]

Cheers,

Murthy
Murthy

"Credulity kills" -- Carl Sagan
[+] 6 users Like murthymail's post
I have never understood the notion that religion is necessary for human society to function properly. It may have indirectly and at a rather high cost served an evolutionary purpose during primitive times, but can religion really provide meaning and purpose in life today? I have found that it may to some, but only conditional upon a level of ignorance that you would accord someone from whom the facts of the world have been purposefully withheld. To an average person 10 years or more of age who has had normal experiences growing up and interacting with her/his environment, the world is, more often than not, an immensely fascinating place. The pin-hole view of things available to our human sensory perception of the universe widens and reveals a grander picture every day, propelled by our growing understanding of the nature of reality. This ability to find human investigation of the natural world fascinating is universal. Unlike religion, it does not require indoctrination.

Our quest for truth has led us to an era of convergent evolution of reason around the world, which coexists with divergent evolution of delusion in localized sub-populations. In response to modern social infrastructure, we humans must come up with new ways of structuring our communities. The question is, how do we reconcile opposing ideologies in humanity's modern cultural narratives? Being a freethinker is to believe that science and reason are the best tools we have for providing us with the most objective view of reality; a window into truths that may be harnessed towards informing our actions. This is what I believe. I draw inspiration from the great thinkers on whose shoulders we stand, and work towards representing reason and science in the cultural sphere in India. The Indian freethought community has a lot of historical precedent to draw from and, despite the current religious/superstitious climate, is keen on challenging dangerous belief systems while building a culture of reason. This is what gives me the greatest hope for the future of India.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
[+] 1 user Likes Ajita Kamal's post
Use of intelligence and knowledge of science automatically leads to removal of religion.
Hopefully religious crazies in the meantime don't wreck civilization.
Wish people knew how big we are in this vast Universe. Isn't it breathtaking? Sagan was right, if there was a God, he could only care less!
[+] 2 users Like sandeep.krishna's post
Personally, for me free-thinking or not being bound by religion means ultimate peace. I believe that by doing this and also by being human, can the world unite against (or prevent) some major natural disasters which are yet to occur.
Think.
If its not blank then its probably text.
[+] 1 user Likes Joker or the Thief's post
hahaha.... oh my goodness! we are surrounded always....
(03-May-2011, 05:56 AM)Joker or the Thief Wrote: Personally, for me free-thinking or not being bound by religion means ultimate peace. I believe that by doing this and also by being human, can the world unite against (or prevent) some major natural disasters which are yet to occur.

I was thrilled to find an active Indian forum for atheists until I found out that Ajita is no more. I didn't know much about Ajita till I read about his obitury here: http://richarddawkins.net/articles/64456...-1978-2011

Its ironic the way in which I've started here on the initiation forum. All I can say is that the pale blue dot will look paler without Ajita. And it will be our responsibility as Freethinkers to add some color of life to the pale dot by spreading the values he stood for.
(16-May-2010, 11:43 PM)Varun Wrote: The sheer vastness of the Universe is mind-boggling.
I wish that i will see space colonies in my lifetime, but i know that is highly unlikely. That is the way our species will guaranteed its immortality and to live and leave a legacy forever.

Hey Varun, sorry to break your heart but nothing lasts for ever in absolute terms. ( As per current knowledge at least ). Our universe too has to die some day.
(28-Jun-2010, 02:33 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: I have never understood the notion that religion is necessary for human society to function properly. It may have indirectly and at a rather high cost served an evolutionary purpose during primitive times, but can religion really provide meaning and purpose in life today? I have found that it may to some, but only conditional upon a level of ignorance that you would accord someone from whom the facts of the world have been purposefully withheld. To an average person 10 years or more of age who has had normal experiences growing up and interacting with her/his environment, the world is, more often than not, an immensely fascinating place. The pin-hole view of things available to our human sensory perception of the universe widens and reveals a grander picture every day, propelled by our growing understanding of the nature of reality. This ability to find human investigation of the natural world fascinating is universal. Unlike religion, it does not require indoctrination.

Our quest for truth has led us to an era of convergent evolution of reason around the world, which coexists with divergent evolution of delusion in localized sub-populations. In response to modern social infrastructure, we humans must come up with new ways of structuring our communities. The question is, how do we reconcile opposing ideologies in humanity's modern cultural narratives? Being a freethinker is to believe that science and reason are the best tools we have for providing us with the most objective view of reality; a window into truths that may be harnessed towards informing our actions. This is what I believe. I draw inspiration from the great thinkers on whose shoulders we stand, and work towards representing reason and science in the cultural sphere in India. The Indian freethought community has a lot of historical precedent to draw from and, despite the current religious/superstitious climate, is keen on challenging dangerous belief systems while building a culture of reason. This is what gives me the greatest hope for the future of India.

Religion is for the masses who refuse to think for themselves due to the strain it causes to their brains smile They needed something to latch on, something to throw their troubles on, something that could unite them to give them a sense of indentity which they could not have independently so on... these are just my thoughts... smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pranam/namaste/hello to all the respected members ankursaxena_321@yahoo.co.in 0 1,782 22-Mar-2013, 06:59 PM
Last Post: ankursaxena_321@yahoo.co.in
  Hi fellow members! nakulp69 3 2,867 22-Jul-2010, 10:22 PM
Last Post: natselrox