Pale Blue Dot: Initiating New Members
To me religion is a form of crowd control.
To me god is a theoretical CCTV camera used to keep the masses in line.
Quote:"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
Homer Simpson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILArKLKUEk
(18-May-2010, 08:40 AM)murthymail Wrote: Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes:

[Image: RG1lE.jpg]

[Image: TZrV2.jpg]

Cheers,

Murthy

Hi

Where are you from?
I am a newbie here, but I have been reading and thinking on this topic for last 5-7 years. But then I was a teenager and didn't paid much attention to my on thoughts. Now that I have learned somethings and have standing on my belief, I feel this place is right for me.
The video is awesome and really speaks that science was, is and will be there no matter if humans live or die.
Religion is like placebo for those who want false hope to live.
Mihir Gupta
Researcher & Engineer
Blog
The video is great. Check out his book by the same name. It is a great read.

Too bad he is not around to make more videos about recent scientific discoveries and accomplishments.
I have watched Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot. I have also read his book 'Cosmos'. I consider him to be the most inspiring astrophysicist and cosmologist. As a student of science, the video had deep resonance with what I feel.
Regarding atheism and freethinking, I began to have doubts by the time I was entering my teens. I'm 19 now, and the journey has been liberating. While I have been unimaginably fortunate in having had a wonderful and open-minded family, I still find that being an atheist involves a lot of argument and self-justification. The exercise of argument, which I am extremely fond of, is the key to a better world. Skepticism and inquiry are an absolute must, and will always keep the pulse of human progress alive.

I decided to join this group for two reasons: Its full of like-minded and wonderful people from all walks of life and all age groups, and its an excellent place to learn. I have seen the active threads on facebook, the enthusiastic arguments and the various links that people work hard to dig out and bring to everyone's notice. Its inspiring, and I look forward to cashing in on the action smile
[+] 1 user Likes Kartik's post
(25-Nov-2012, 01:22 PM)Kartik Wrote: I have watched Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot. I have also read his book 'Cosmos'. I consider him to be the most inspiring astrophysicist and cosmologist. As a student of science, the video had deep resonance with what I feel.
Regarding atheism and freethinking, I began to have doubts by the time I was entering my teens. I'm 19 now, and the journey has been liberating. While I have been unimaginably fortunate in having had a wonderful and open-minded family, I still find that being an atheist involves a lot of argument and self-justification. The exercise of argument, which I am extremely fond of, is the key to a better world. Skepticism and inquiry are an absolute must, and will always keep the pulse of human progress alive.

I decided to join this group for two reasons: Its full of like-minded and wonderful people from all walks of life and all age groups, and its an excellent place to learn. I have seen the active threads on facebook, the enthusiastic arguments and the various links that people work hard to dig out and bring to everyone's notice. Its inspiring, and I look forward to cashing in on the action :)

Kartik,
Its rare to find a you lad of your age to be really 'liberated' from the shackles of illusions. Congratulations! You have lot to explore. Have you read Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion? Its a masterpiece. Also lay your hands on Sam Harris' books. You will love his crystal clear thinking.
How do your peers fit into your bracket of friends? That would be worth knowing.
I hope that our discoveries in this universe and beyond will only further prove a need to leave a better world for our future generations to come.
Seen this before and amazed me then and continues to amaze me now. the thing is, we probably knew the scale of the universe even before but still never realised how minuscule and insignificant we are in that scale. christopher hitchens and richard dawkins helped me in that.
I have seen this clip n number of times, but the end result is always the same, moist eyes & a feeling of oneness with the cosmos.

If only majority of our species understood this we'd be in a very diffrnt world.

Vision for future? well, just hoping more & more ppl could undrtsnd our true place in the Universe. A society wherein anything & everything is questioned, a logical & rational approach to life adapted by everybody.

(16-May-2010, 04:51 PM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: Hello New Member!

If you are like most of us, you have probably lived most of your life surrounded by superstition. Congratulations on making it here. As an initiation into the community, we request all new members to watch a clip from Carl Sagan's Cosmos. The choice to watch or not is entirely yours, and of course there is a good chance that you have already seen this particular clip. This is just a fun little reminder of why we are all here together, celebrating freethinking and building a religion-free society. Exclamation

After watching the clip, please leave a comment below as a response, telling us about your vision for the future and what a freethinking society means to you. Please leave one comment only. This is not a regular thread. If you want to add to your comment, you can edit it, but if you want to have a conversation with someone, please use the regular threads in this forum.
"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers" - The great Carl Sagan

Moist eyes spoiler alert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJ9H3uBqZM

Glad to be a new member and was pleasantly surprised by the welcome message discussing one of the great leaders of our philosophy
I remember watching this at the age of 16 for the first time. Along with Neil deGrasse Tyson's "The Most Astounding Fact". I remember being moved to tears.
'The pale blue dot'....oh fascinates me to explore the universe.Yes,astronomy is character building.
My name is Kushal Choudhary,I am 17 and I'm new here.Hope I can express all my heart here...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pranam/namaste/hello to all the respected members ankursaxena_321@yahoo.co.in 0 1,780 22-Mar-2013, 06:59 PM
Last Post: ankursaxena_321@yahoo.co.in
  Hi fellow members! nakulp69 3 2,867 22-Jul-2010, 10:22 PM
Last Post: natselrox