Promoting freethought in Kolkata
I posted this on Facebook and am reposting here.

We have decided to organise a show of sorts on the first week of September at one of the auditoriums of Jadavpur University, Kolkata. Here are some thought/questions on the issue. Any suggestions are welcome.

‎1. We have thought of 'Relevance of Atheist movements in India' and 'Students for Secularism' as the two tentative topics. What are your thoughts?

2. Guests: We'd like to invite some famous guys as speakers. We are probably going to contact Bhaichung Bhutia, Dr. Bikash Sinha but the likelihood of their coming is vanishingly small.Next, we'd contact Prabir Ghosh, a renowned skeptic from Kolkata. Any other suggestions for famous atheists/skeptics in Kolkata are welcome. It'd also be nice if any of the distinguished members of Nirmukta volunteer to come. Beer's on me! ;) Otherwise, I'll have to speak for the whole duration on my own, which I don't mind. :P

3. Pamphlets: We'll be distributing some pamphlets soon. Any suggestion on the content and design are welcome.

4. Pale Blue Dot: We'll be releasing the Bengali version of the Sagan video on that show and would like to launch the project of translating it into other Indian languages.

5. We don't have any registered organisation or anything but would love to do the thing under the banner of any of the established organisations or as a collaboration of all the available groups.

6. All are welcome.
I love this! It is heartening to see some initiative being taken in such a way. Let us do all we can to make this a success! We'll use all our social media and even the website to help make this as big as possible. And also help in any other way.

1. I loved both your topic ideas. 2. We can help in contacting people. I'll send you a private message regarding this. 3. Let us try to get Bala to help us out on this. He has already designed some brilliant posters for us. We could use them in a modified form for the event. 4. It would be awesome if this is done smile 5. It would be great if you can get this done under the banned of a registered organisation. Prof Nayak might have contacts in this regard. Also, the Nimrukta banner can be used although we aren't registered yet. The Nimrukta banner has been used in in Bangalore previously by the way. 6. I would have loved to come. Alas I'm so far away.
(03-Aug-2010, 10:46 PM)natselrox Wrote: We have decided to organise a show of sorts on the first week of September at one of the auditoriums of Jadavpur University, Kolkata. Here are some thought/questions on the issue. Any suggestions are welcome.

Exciting stuff! Kolkota always had a glowing tradition of rationalism.

Quote:‎1. We have thought of 'Relevance of Atheist movements in India' and 'Students for Secularism' as the two tentative topics. What are your thoughts?

I prefer the former because 'secularism' in the Indian context has been abused too much and the public has been desensitized to the word.

Quote:2. Guests: We'd like to invite some famous guys as speakers. We are probably going to contact Bhaichung Bhutia, Dr. Bikash Sinha but the likelihood of their coming is vanishingly small.Next, we'd contact Prabir Ghosh, a renowned skeptic from Kolkata. Any other suggestions for famous atheists/skeptics in Kolkata are welcome. It'd also be nice if any of the distinguished members of Nirmukta volunteer to come. Beer's on me! ;) Otherwise, I'll have to speak for the whole duration on my own, which I don't mind. :P

Nirmukta doesn't have a strong presence in W.B. because of the strong local rationalist presence there. Sumitra Padmanabhan and Prabir Ghosh were both contributors to Nirmukta (I recently removed Prabir form our contributor page because he hadn't sent us anything in a while. We are planning on re-designing this page entirely). Sumitra Padmanabhan is still on the list of contributors and still occasionally communicates with us.

Quote:5. We don't have any registered organisation or anything but would love to do the thing under the banner of any of the established organisations or as a collaboration of all the available groups.

Actually, we should formally establish a Nirmukta presence in Kolkota, and you natselrox seem like the perfect candidate to carry the flag of reason. How about it? Nirmukta is mostly an online presence right now, but we are definitely moving to on-ground activism after we have sufficiently large local groups around the country. We could start by creating a Kolkota section on the forums (as a subforum to a forum for W. Bengal).
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
So the date has been finalised to 15th September. "Relevance of Atheist Movements in India" is the theme. We have booked the auditorium. All that remains is to rope in the speakers. Before that we have to print the pamphlets to be distributed in colleges. I'll post the updates as we go along.

I think we should go under the generic 'Nirmukta' banner without creating a WB subsection. This is mainly because I'm going to get shit-busy from next year and it'd be kinda selfish to callous to create something without following it up. But if you can get more people from WB, it might be a good idea. smile
Brilliant! Do I send out an update on the IA page and even Nirmukta (as a group email) asking people if they could help out, and also to watch this space?
Sure, Sid! I'm preparing the opening speech.Will post it as soon as it's ready!
Awesome. Do you think it's a good idea to share the speech before you get to speak it out formally at the event? I would prefer you write a report about it and this along with your speech could be posted on nirmukta.com under your name. What do you say? If we manage to get pictures/videos of the event, even better.
Your wish is me command, cap'n! Yo ho and a bottle o' rum.
Curious to know how it went? Sorry, I'm browsing old posts on nirmukta.net and am not up to speed on several things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is Freethought? Ajita Kamal 23 17,864 24-Aug-2014, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Lije
  [split] How to handle trolls in freethought groups Lije 20 8,768 14-Jun-2011, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Myst
  What constitutes Freethought? Ajita Kamal 18 8,242 27-Oct-2010, 06:11 PM
Last Post: ABrowne
  An attempt at promoting free thought mohankarthik 5 2,963 27-Sep-2010, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal
  Welcome to the Freethought Forum bala 4 3,716 29-Mar-2010, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Ajita Kamal