Quack Alert - Lavana tailam
http://www.healthbyayurveda.in/products/...rrencyId=2
"Most advanced ayurveda formulation for fat free figure care. It prevents superficial fatty accumulation and lack body shape. It reduces lipid fraction of physique and removes unwanted water content thus maintaining figure of the body."

"advanced ayurveda" is an oxymoron? Isn't ayurveda supposed to an ancient secret or something of that sort?
(29-Apr-2010, 09:39 PM)Sajit Wrote: http://www.healthbyayurveda.in/products/...rrencyId=2
"Most advanced ayurveda formulation for fat free figure care. It prevents superficial fatty accumulation and lack body shape. It reduces lipid fraction of physique and removes unwanted water content thus maintaining figure of the body."

"advanced ayurveda" is an oxymoron? Isn't ayurveda supposed to an ancient secret or something of that sort?

The entire site seems to be an exercise in quackery.
(29-Apr-2010, 11:18 PM)Lije Wrote: The entire site seems to be an exercise in quackery.

I'll go one further: Ayurveda is quackery. Of course, there is room for nuance... some of the herbs and concoctions used to make ayurvedic "medicines" may have some beneficial value, but the fact that ayueveda is unregulated and unscientific nonsense that passes as medicine in India makes it quackery. The fact that these pseudosciences are so popular in INdia makes me so mad! Cursing

I think we need to set up two threads on this forum to discuss ayurveda and homeopathy.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(30-Apr-2010, 06:59 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote:
(29-Apr-2010, 11:18 PM)Lije Wrote: The entire site seems to be an exercise in quackery.

I'll go one further: Ayurveda is quackery. Of course, there is room for nuance... some of the herbs and concoctions used to make ayurvedic "medicines" may have some beneficial value, but the fact that ayueveda is unregulated and unscientific nonsense that passes as medicine in India makes it quackery. The fact that these pseudosciences are so popular in INdia makes me so mad! Cursing

I think we need to set up two threads on this forum to discuss ayurveda and homeopathy.

Ayurveda is primitive medicine being touted as a safer than 'allopathy' alternative with no side effects etc. An Ayurvedic doctor once told me that their medicine works the same way as 'allopathy' but is gentle !! According to him allopathy is too harsh. I guess it was in Hahnemann's time!

Now we know that 'allopathy' is a term coined by Hahnemann who invented homeopathy! And this is how almost everyone refers to 'Modern Medicine' in India.

It seems hard for some people to accept that Modern Medicine is an improvement of all primitive medicines. I guess this is because primitive medicine has a critical component called - faith. And that makes it difficult for people who believe in primitive cures to open their minds and go by empirical evidence instead.
We need a comprehensive strategy going forward. I mean, something concrete to challenge ayurveda and bring it under scientific scrutiny. Let's use this thread to plan our strategy.

What are the issues we're going to have to deal with?
What are the organizations that are already involved in this work?
What organizations can we work with through our media network to help them in this work?
What sort of campaigns can we organize?

This will be a big topic of interest going forward, and we will need all resources available to make it happen.
"Fossil rabbits in the Precambrian"
~ J.B.S.Haldane, on being asked to falsify evolution.
(30-Apr-2010, 10:23 AM)Ajita Kamal Wrote: We need a comprehensive strategy going forward. I mean, something concrete to challenge ayurveda and bring it under scientific scrutiny. Let's use this thread to plan our strategy.

What are the issues we're going to have to deal with?
What are the organizations that are already involved in this work?
What organizations can we work with through our media network to help them in this work?
What sort of campaigns can we organize?

This will be a big topic of interest going forward, and we will need all resources available to make it happen.

I think the most important thing in debunking ayurvedic quackery is too prove experimentally that it doesn't work. A viable starting point is to take the basic principles of ayurveda and prove that they are wrong. Experimentally validating all ayurvedic formulations would be too difficult. We need skeptics from the medical community who are willing to take up this cause.

A big factor which contributes to popularity of ayurveda (and homeopathy) is the unscrupulous behavior of most hospitals in India. A patient is seen as sucker who is there to cough up money. Incompetent doctors prescribe every medicine under the Sun hoping that at least one will cure the disease. Unnecessary surgeries are performed to squeeze more money out of the patients. The Indian health care system is corrupt to the core and that is scaring away people into seeking other cures.

.pdf   IICT certificate PLT.pdf (Size: 67.57 KB / Downloads: 5) This is another seller marketing "Pancha Lavana Thailam" suggesting its an upgraded version of this snake oil. Can you believe that this is the 'certificate' that they are using to give it credibility??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quack alert: Wellness Science and Blessings Nullius In Verba Skeptic 5 5,485 07-Jun-2011, 07:31 PM
Last Post: LMC
  Quack Alert - Aphrodisiac medicine Azad 5 7,034 20-Oct-2010, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sajit