Religion and Culture
Looking at past world, Religion has played vital role and same as culture..

But in Sometimes, there is close relationship between religion and culture.. Of-course there are lot of times there's no connection at all..

But personally I feel culture is something beautiful, As long as its not wasting resources or causing any kind harm.. Sometimes stupid ;)

Like some of festivals, Like dussehra One takes bunch of leaves, hugs everyone and exchanges leaves.. And Christmas tree!! Lot of people enjoy decorating tree.

And in muslim culture, where everyone eats in one big plate, Me and bunch of my muslim friends do that all the time..

When i thought about some culture, some of them doesn't have any purpose or meaning, still its lot of fun!!

Religion defiantly effects the thinking view of mind, but i feel culture effects living of a person..

What u guyz think about it???

I think this is one of the reasons, people around the world still say that its ok to teach religion to kids, not to brand them, but to let them understand why we do all the stupid things that we do smile

For me, I definitely love diwali, cristmas, pongal, krishna jayanthi, vinayaga chaturti. Now that I'm an atheist should I stop celebrating them? Hell no :P. I love food, I love to enjoy my time with my family. So what if they are fantasies, Hell if you organize a festival to celebrate the defeat of Sauron, I'll be first among your guests smile. Traditions are very important IMO. I definitely want to be part of my family when we celebrate festivals. I might even burst just one or two crackers just to get the feel of Diwali this year :P. But this year more than just celebrating blindly, I'll go one up and remind my relatives that there was no fictional being, who killed another fictional being and saved the world on this day :P.

I think becoming an atheist is not about giving up on your religious family, or not celebrating with them. It is instead having the maturity to realize that you are celebrating them for the sake of enjoyment and fun, rather than the birth / death / victory of a fictional being. And having this knowledge, enjoy even more and have fun smile

As a whole, I think that the only useful thing that religion has done is bringing together communities and giving them traditions and festivals to enjoy. Not that we woudnt have them without religions. But we have to agree that most traditions / festivals we have now are courtesy religions.
Bah! What you're calling culture has nothing to do with religion. It is more a feature of geography and is regionally linked. What has a Christmas tree got to do with Christmas? There are no such trees in Jerusalem. There's no such thing as Muslim culture. It is Arab culture. As for Dussehra and touching all elders' feet - absolutely not - besides why would I want to celebrate the death of Ravana by Ram. I might as well act out "Alice in Wonderland".
Culture is a feature of the environment you've been brought up in - your family and region. What may seem as par for the course for you may not be for others.
People celebrate religious festivals in the same way that they've been celebrating other events from ages, for example, a good harvest season.
As atheists, we should aim to get rid of all the undesirable behaviour (Holi festival - molestation of women and cutting down trees and burning wood) and rituals (compulsory fasting) enforced on people in the name of culture.
This has been bothering me for quite some time. I have seen festivals in our town, particularly mariamma(Rain goddess) festival and its really grand and total fun. People from various other places visit our town. Our relatives and relatives of people living next door become friends. As a part of it, it has many traditional dance, music, drama and what not! I bet one cannot see so much liveliness in any other season. Such festivals are more common in small towns and villages.
I don't think we should get rid of such celebrations, instead as Kartik says we can do so in a more meaningful way. Yet I wonder if it would be possible for all people to do so, since these celebrations are done with a temple at its core. This particular thing has been bothering me for a long time. You know, I should be opposing religion but I don't want to oppose the festival as thats the only time people come together (all "hindus" I mean) to celebrate. At the same time many farmers depend on rain to a great extent, hence they fear to neglect praying mariamma.
@Swati you see this is a religious and cultural festival, a tribute to rain god for the harvest!
vijay
(28-Aug-2010, 09:40 PM)vijay Wrote: This has been bothering me for quite some time. I have seen festivals in our town, particularly mariamma(Rain goddess) festival and its really grand and total fun. People from various other places visit our town. Our relatives and relatives of people living next door become friends. As a part of it, it has many traditional dance, music, drama and what not! I bet one cannot see so much liveliness in any other season. Such festivals are more common in small towns and villages.
I don't think we should get rid of such celebrations, instead as Kartik says we can do so in a more meaningful way. Yet I wonder if it would be possible for all people to do so, since these celebrations are done with a temple at its core. This particular thing has been bothering me for a long time. You know, I should be opposing religion but I don't want to oppose the festival as thats the only time people come together (all "hindus" I mean) to celebrate. At the same time many farmers depend on rain to a great extent, hence they fear to neglect praying mariamma.
@Swati you see this is a religious and cultural festival, a tribute to rain god for the harvest!

Vijay thats true of festivals in all countries. I have no problems with festivals that anyone celebrates so long as they don't block the roads and create traffic snarls with processions !
(28-Aug-2010, 11:24 PM)Sajit Wrote: Vijay thats true of festivals in all countries. I have no problems with festivals that anyone celebrates so long as they don't block the roads and create traffic snarls with processions !

And not to mention the d*** waving contests with loud speakers.
Laugh Spoken truly like people who've never had to learn and spend hours cooking up the special stuff for festivals. No

@ vijay

I do not agree that there would be no celebrations without religion. Don't people celebrate joyous occasions like marriages, child birth, anniversaries, new homes?
Where did I say that we should get rid of celebrations, rain god or not?
I've only said we should get rid of undesirable behaviour enforced in the name of culture.
@swati "What you're calling culture has nothing to do with religion." I was trying to address this particular statement and of course, I don't see you mentioning anything about getting rid of celebrations.
BTW, all the celebrations you have mentioned above are restricted to one family and not an entire town.
At least, to my knowledge I haven't seen anything as grand as this festival.

@Lije ans Sajit Yea many such nuisances occur, people also behead goats in the middle of the streets.
vijay
(29-Aug-2010, 11:37 AM)vijay Wrote: @swati "What you're calling culture has nothing to do with religion." I was trying to address this particular statement and of course, I don't see you mentioning anything about getting rid of celebrations.
BTW, all the celebrations you have mentioned above are restricted to one family and not an entire town.
At least, to my knowledge I haven't seen anything as grand as this festival.

@Lije ans Sajit Yea many such nuisances occur, people also behead goats in the middle of the streets.

Beheading goats in the middle of a street maybe rare but processions, loud speakers, chariots and other nonsense like going around extorting money etc do cause major inconveniences in Indian cities.

Lot of celebrations we have in any hindu religion or other religions are based on mythical stories.. Of course not every one of them..

@swathi: I don't feel problem with holi or bogi, as long as long as its played in right manner!! if someone is molesting women, its character issue of person not something wrong with festival.. Um!! i believe cutting down tress once in a year, and making something big camp fire is not bad too.. Compared to natural resources we use everyday..

I surely do not agree with loud speakers, road jams, killing animals etc..

(30-Aug-2010, 06:54 PM)ayyawar Wrote: @swathi: I don't feel problem with holi or bogi, as long as long as its played in right manner!! if someone is molesting women, its character issue of person not something wrong with festival.. Um!! i believe cutting down tress once in a year, and making something big camp fire is not bad too.. Compared to natural resources we use everyday..

Holi is one festival I particularly oppose. Only in some cities (in India) and abroad is it celebrated with a spirit of community. In Indian villages, Holi is a menace. See http://www.ambedkar.org/research/Holi__A...urning.htm

I would support a ban on this caste exploiting festival. It is not an issue of character or something. It's a malaise of the society at large.
Aditya Manthramurthy
Web Administrator & Associate Editor
Nirmukta.com
Wow, That's a good material i never heard of it, That article is really disturbing, i mean its really bad hear stuff like that..

From my experience i never see such things in any village, maybe its just lack of my knowledge....

my perception of holi was totally different..

festival should be within constitution laws, Like Sexual exploitation, Public display of body, Killing are against to Law....

One can simply state that, every one has right to practice and enjoy any festival (despite of roots and origin), as long as it doesn't conflict with constitution laws..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is WHY people wont leave religion Freethinker 0 97 04-Dec-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Freethinker
  Religion in the abattoir arvindiyer 28 25,437 07-Sep-2014, 03:23 PM
Last Post: garrethdsouza
  Religion and Cult ayyawar 5 6,089 03-Feb-2013, 09:22 AM
Last Post: EndAllDelusionsOfH8
  Religion? arvind13 57 28,536 30-Jul-2012, 10:39 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  God exists, take religion back to school shrihara 8 5,799 13-Sep-2010, 02:21 PM
Last Post: shrihara