School asking Affidavit for not following any religion
Hi,

I'm Karthik from Bangalore. I'm getting my son admitted in a school, and I have declared that we don't follow any religion in the application form. I got the admission, but the school management is asking for an affidavit that we're not following any religion. Has anyone had faced this kind issue, and have given an affidavit like this, if so could you please share the format of the affidavit or any lawyers can help me to draft an affidavit for not following any religion.

Thanks,
Karthik
(06-Feb-2012, 01:52 PM)kaartz Wrote: Hi,

I'm Karthik from Bangalore. I'm getting my son admitted in a school, and I have declared that we don't follow any religion in the application form. I got the admission, but the school management is asking for an affidavit that we're not following any religion. Has anyone had faced this kind issue, and have given an affidavit like this, if so could you please share the format of the affidavit or any lawyers can help me to draft an affidavit for not following any religion.

Thanks,
Karthik

I will suggest you to get in touch with Prof. Narendra Nayak.
Get in touch with the bengaluru group
We also have some lawyers on board, you could also try asking in the politics group
Please ask them whether they ask for affidavits from those who claim to follow religions. If not they are discriminating against you. if they can take the word for parents who claim to follow a religion they could apply the same criteria to those who do not.
Narendra Nayak
[+] 2 users Like narendra's post
Thank you all for replies.

@Narendra: I asked them the same question, but they didn't have an answer for it.
I think they are asking for an affidavit so that you will not be able to avail of any schemes based religious beliefs like the minority development scheme for Muslims/Parsis/Jains/Buddhists/Punjabis or something like that. Nevertheless, there is no such need for an affidavit. Religion is a mere belief it is as good as an opinion. Ask them if they demand for affidavit for opinions on public matters and other such stuff. Also, the admission is of the child and not the parents. The child is still unfit to decide what his religion will/will not be. So it is foolish to ask for the affidavit of the parents as it is useless any way. The child may decide to choose something else.

If this does not work, then sue them (or at least threaten to do so) for discrimination on the grounds of religion as Narendra Nayak has pointed out.

I hope you succeed! All the best!
[+] 2 users Like Aamil Syed's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MP Gov to introduce Gita in school nispat 7 6,421 05-Jun-2012, 04:35 PM
Last Post: nick87
  Faith School Menace - Brand new documentary by Richard Dawkins donatello 6 7,026 15-Mar-2011, 12:24 AM
Last Post: surya.prash17
  Online School for everyone bala 2 3,524 06-Jan-2011, 10:46 PM
Last Post: natselrox
  Online Resources for Raising Freethinking Children (Parenting Without Religion & God) Ajita Kamal 2 3,998 18-Sep-2010, 07:08 PM
Last Post: bobbykrishna