Science and Scientists
(09-Aug-2011, 05:23 AM)sojourner Wrote: Full Disclosure: I haven't read the previous posts in this thread.

My two cents follows.

Science is a human activity. What makes science successful is this. If a scientist is found to be wrong, his career is finished. Scientists are not particularly honest but there is a process in place to weed out the dishonest ones. Also, a premium is placed on describing their results in testable ways. This does not mean that every single paper published is automatically verified by someone else. But the potential for doing so is there, since the details are all published. Once in a while (like in the cold fusion fiasco) people indeed attempt to replicate to check it out. At other times, they replicate only to get to a point from which they can do other stuff. If they cannot replicate, that raises alarms. A published paper only has a certain amount of respect. When other people use its results and in the process end up replicating the results, it gains more respects.

I have an article that I like on the subject of the scientific method. It is written by my favorite scientist. I don't know how to attach it. Let me figure out way.

Edit by Mod: Paper available online - http://courses.umass.edu/psyc241/Skinneracasehist.pdf , so removing attachment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updated science comprehension of reality Dov Henis 3 3,665 06-Feb-2013, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Dov Henis
  Science in India Vinod Wadhawan 5 5,223 17-Jan-2013, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Cityboy
  Silly Nicknames in Science: The Goddamned Particle and The Eight-fold Way sojourner 9 9,923 05-Jul-2012, 10:35 AM
Last Post: nick87
  E.O. Wilson's 'Advice to Young Scientists' arvindiyer 0 3,228 29-Jun-2012, 07:25 AM
Last Post: arvindiyer
  Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind Of Science: Computing A Theory Of Everything Ajita Kamal 17 15,474 23-Nov-2011, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Vinod Wadhawan
  On scientific curiosity : How much science should the 'masses' know to stop believing karatalaamalaka 9 5,833 16-Sep-2011, 10:44 PM
Last Post: karatalaamalaka
  Should scientists (just) be scientists? arvindiyer 10 5,848 22-May-2011, 03:25 AM
Last Post: P11